Wednesday, March 1, 2017

House part II

After we moved all of our stuff into the new house, got the kids adjusted to their new school, and unpacked all of our boxes, it was time to do some decorating and home projects.  We painted our laundry room first because it was a kind of ugly pink color.  Since there was a two week delay in our washer and dryer being delivered we had enough time to get it painted.  I didn't take before and after pictures of that project.   My second project I decided on was to remove this lovely wallpaper border from the dining room walls.

As sad as I was to see it go (not really) it felt good to tackle something else.
I've heard horror stories of removing wallpaper so I was a little nervous about what it would entail. After doing a little research I decided to try what seemed like to me the easiest method.  I took a spray bottle with water in it, sprayed it over a section of wallpaper, let it soak into the wall, and then took a spackeling shovel to scrape off the wallpaper.  To my surprise, it pulled right off the wall. Then I took a damp sponge and just wiped any excess glue from the wall itself.  It took me a couple hours to complete.
I'm sure glad they didn't wallpaper the entire wall!
Now every time we eat our dinner I won't look up and see that terrible border on my walls.  Instant smile on my face.
Now for a first time homeowner oopsie story.  When our fridge was delivered and hooked up the only thing they wouldn't do is install the waterline to the water and icemaker.  Tim did a lot of research to make sure he hooked it up correctly and followed the instructions to the T.  We thought all was great! We went to bed (it was a Saturday night), got up Sunday morning and everything still seemed great! We started getting ready for church.  Tim ran down to the kitchen to grab something only to find water all over the kitchen floor.  He ran down to the basement to find water falling from the ceiling.  Holy crap!  We had been in the house I think 2 or 3 days when this happened.  All I could think was we are going to flood our basement before we even unpack.  
This was the copper line that was supposed to go to the fridge.
This was where all the problems happened.  After I stopped freaking out and Tim just went into problem solving mode, we turned off the water line to the fridge and began mopping up water.  Now the miracle of this story and the huge tender mercy from above was that we hadn't left for church yet. This happened a half hour before we would have left for church.  If it had happened even 30 minutes later than it did water would have been pouring into our basement for at least 4 hours while we were at church and then we really would have had a flooded basement.  But it didn't happen while we were at church and we only had a couple buckets of water to mop up.  HOLY COW were we blessed!  I am so grateful for knowing how aware the Lord is of us.  
Now for part II of our flooring installation.  
The main floor was complete.  Now it was time for the green and blue carpet to go bye bye upstairs and a nice neutral carpet to go in.  
As much as I am loyal to green (Sparty on!) , this was where I draw the line.
This reminded me of my brother's blue carpet in his bedroom.  My brother can keep his blue carpet, but I will have to say farewell.

This was a basic color in the other rooms.  
So what do you think?  Do you like the green carpet or this carpet better?
Now we can move our bedroom furniture in and sleep like normal people again.  I am so happy with how much stuff we've been able to do on the house in such a short amount of time.  We have really taken to heart making a house our own and have enjoyed doing so.  It's really starting to feel like OUR home!

Now that each phase of our move is done, I finalized all cleaning of the town home, and we turned in our keys to our landlord's real estate agent and said one final goodbye to our home of 6 years.  One door is officially closed for our family history and a new one is just opening.  We are ready to see all the wonderful things this door has in store.

0 comments: