Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 5- London

Our first stop on the agenda was to eat lunch with Tim's old Dairy team.  We went to a cool pub called The Pineapple.  It got it's name because they were the first place to grow a pineapple in the UK.  




 Holy cannoli these sandwiches were humongous! I couldn't even get my mouth around it.

After lunch we went back to the Mars office in Slough which was really cool.  Then we were off to the big city once again.  Of course, when you think of England you think of lots of rain.  Surprisingly they called for rain every day we were there, but this day was the only day it rained.  Shocking.  Plus, when it rained it was only for a short time and then the sun poked through the clouds.  

 I have been in the London rain!  
This umbrella was purchased in Windsor.  Who goes to England without taking an umbrella or a rain coat?  Me.  I'm glad it only rained a little bit and I'm glad I brought it just in case.
 We headed to Leicester Square which is another famous spot at the heart of London's West end.  It has lots of shopping, dining, entertainment, cinemas, etc.  I would compare it to Times Square of New York.  Of course, we had to stop in M&M world.  Here M&M world is a huge hot spot.  I couldn't believe how busy it was with shoppers.  There are four levels of M&M products and chocolate at this site.  Here are some snippets of our shopping experience.
 Sir Timothy the Knight
 Crossing Abbey Road with the M&M's.

Whoa!  Don't trip!  Tim was trying to show off his dribbling skills.


We actually got a few shots of us together!

The infamous red double decker buses.

 This seemed to be a pretty popular resting stop for people.  
Tim's co-worker Lucy also made reservations for us to eat at this quaint little restaurant near Leicester Square. We were pretty much the only couple in their lower level dining area for most of our meal.  It was quite romantic and yet another win for Lucy. It definitely helps to know people that live here.  We got to see some things that most tourists don't know about which added so much to our trip.



Fish, smashed peas, and potatoes.   Some people say that the food in England is bland and boring.  I can say that that has not been the case for us.  We have eaten well.  Thank heavens we've had to do a lot of walking to make up for it.

After doing a little strolling, shopping, and dining we decided to head over to see Buckingham Palace.
 On the way we saw this tapestry outside an art museum.  We thought it was pretty neat so we took a picture of it.
Everything is so detailed in their architecture.   
 The fountain in front of the Palace.

In front of the Buckingham Palace.  It wasn't until I saw it that I realized there is a definite difference between a castle and a palace.  Many of you might be saying really?  You didn't know that?  Duh!  But I guess I really didn't think about it until now.  Call it pregnancy brain or just the fact that I grew up in America and am ignorant to some things pertaining to royalty, queens, kings, dukes, duchesses, castles, palaces and the like.  Now I know.




 Me and my prince!


Resting my tired pregnant body.  It's amazing I didn't start having contractions after all the walking I have done this week.  

This was our last stop of the day.   
At this point in our trip I was still pinching my arm to make sure it was really happening.  It was and I was soaking up every moment.  It was going by so fast I wanted to make sure I made the most of every moment we were there.

0 comments: