Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 2- Windsor

Tim had to work Tuesday and Wednesday, so I had time to explore things all on my own.  Having been a mom for 6 years now and not having much time to myself I was a little excited to get some Ashley time.  I know my round the clock feedings and even less "me" time is just around the corner.  So this trip couldn't have come at a better time.  I will admit when this day actually came and I didn't have to wake up to feed my kids breakfast, or get them dressed, or brush their teeth, or tend to their other needs I almost didn't know what to do with myself.  It is nice to have moments like these to remind myself how happy I am with the life that I have chosen.  I love being a mom and I sure love my boys.  And I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who does treat me like a princess and spoils me.

I decided the first thing I would do is take a tour of the Windsor Castle.  The Queen was in residence during our visit, so some of the usual exhibits they show were not open to the public.  Bummer!  But the castle is incredible.  It's basically it's own little city complete with it's own church.  The people that sing in the choir have residences within the castle walls as well.

 Windsor castle was built in the 11th century and is the longest occupied palace in Europe.
 It occupies more than 13 acres of land.
 The architecture is gorgeous.
 The gardens are breathtaking.




 St. George's chapel
 A guard.  I cannot imagine what a boring job this would be.  They are so precise in all that they do.  It's neat to watch them walk back and forth.  I wonder if they smile a lot when they are off duty?
 After my tour of the castle I decided to venture out and complete the Long Walk.  Let me tell you it was LOOOOOONG!!  This trail extends from the castle all the way to.....
 this statue.  This was definitely a great time to reflect and think and clear my head.  It took me about two hours to complete it both ways.  I definitely was feeling sore by the end.  There were no bathrooms along the way, so being pregnant and having to go to the bathroom often I don't know how I made the entire trip without having to use a bathroom.  I was walking pretty fast at the end to make it back to my hotel though. 
 There is even a deer preserve along the route.  These deer were right by the statue and I had to walk through their group to get back to the castle.  I was a little nervous one of them was going to do something to me.  We definitely were eyeing each other as I passed.
 Another neat experience on my long walk was seeing the Queen's carriages pass.  The week we were in Windsor was the week of Ascot.  The horse races took place not too far from Windsor and the Queen always makes a presence on the first day.  I was about 3 feet from her carriage and even filmed them passing.  I bet many Englanders can't say they've ever been that close to the Queen.

By mid afternoon I was definitely feeling jet lag and tired from all my walking so I took a nap!  Yes, I got to take a nap.  It was brilliant!  Then I met up with Tim and his co-workers for dinner.
 While we were waiting for our taxi we ate some scones and clotted cream.  Oh my yumminess!  I've been craving these ever since I got back and even tried making my own clotted cream which didn't work.  I am determined to find some clotted cream so I can make some scones and share them with the kiddos.

We ate dinner at an English pub.  I totally didn't take any pictures which I'm really bummed about, but the pub was pretty old and was so neat looking.  It was very quaint and the food was de-lish!  I ate a rabbit appetizer that was so good.  We ate something called bobble and squeak, wobbly bottom, and for dessert we had something called spotted dick which was a sponge cake with raisins in it.  Only the English would come up with names like that.
 We were so stuffed after dinner we took an evening stroll.  The queen and I having a little chat.
Tim and Prince Harry.
My first day having adventures on my own was a lovely and wonderful day!  Tomorrow will be another adventure.

1 comments:

Linz said...

Gorgeous place! I think I need to join that choir!