We took the TUBE (a.k.a the subway) into London
When we came out of the tube station there were hundreds of people all over. This was the first thing we saw....
BIG BEN! It was an incredible sight and it's been a while since I've been to such a large city with so many people. I almost felt overstimulated looking at everyone and everything and keeping up with the pace of a busy crowded city. There were people from all over the world visiting just like us. It makes you realize that you are just one little person in this great big world. You know when you see a huge swarm of ants on the ground. I almost felt like that in a way as we made our way through the crowds of people.
Our first stop was the London Eye, which is a giant Ferris Wheel that gives you a spectacular view of the entire city.
This is one of the pods. There were about 20 people in it with us and there was plenty of room to roam about. I was a little apprehensive getting on one of these knowing how high it would go and realizing there would be no escape for 30 minutes. To my surprise, once I was in it, it didn't sway or move like I thought it would. It was steady and secure and didn't bother me on bit. Now that my fear was gone, it was time to enjoy the view!
I kept teasing Tim, because he took what seemed like a hundred shots of me and Big Ben. We did get pictures of other things too.....After our run around the Ferris Wheel we took a boat tour to hear some of the history of the buildings along the Thames River.
This is the Globe Theater
This is one of the bridges (not the London Bride. The London Bridge is quite ugly compared to this one.)
This is where they used to keep prisoners and send them to their deaths.
The best part of the London Bridge and the only picture we took of it. After our tour of some of the popular spots in London we headed over to our evening event.
Our evening entertainment was by this amazing park. It was enormous and had all these paths and gardens. I could have just walked around here for hours. Aren't the gardens just absolutely heavenly?
We wanted to see a play at the Globe Theater, but were unable to get tickets. Tim's co-worker hooked us up with tickets to this Open Air Theater instead. The play we saw was Pride and Prejudice. I am so glad she did. It was fantastic.
We ate pasties for dinner. Basically it's a gourmet hot pocket with lots of beef, onions, and potatoes. Not my favorite meal, but when you're hungry you're hungry.
We weren't supposed to take pictures, but we snuck a few shots in before they yelled at us. He he he! We are such rebels.
The stage was so neat. The center of the stage rotated depending on the scene they were doing.
The play was so well done and this was probably one of my favorite things that we did! It reminded me of all the plays Tim and I went to when we were first married. We really enjoy going to things like this and this one definitely exceeded our expectations. After the show we headed back to our hotel.
The tube in London was great! We could get anywhere and everywhere and it seemed so clean to me. Especially this tunnel. It was newly built and had this cool tile around the entire thing. Having ridden on New York, Chicago, and San Francisco's subways, this was by far the least nasty and stinky. I wouldn't expect anything less from the Brits.
Day 1 in London was superb! I can't wait to see more tomorrow.





0 comments:
Post a Comment