Last year we spent Christmas in Pennsylvania, just our family. This year we were lucky to have some of our besties come to visit for two whole weeks- the best Christmas present ever. Especially since they had to travel half way across the world to come visit. Flying from Istanbul to Easton, PA with 3 kids under the age of 6 is no easy task. The Donadieu's, thankfully, are pretty seasoned at this traveling gig and managed to arrive at our home with smiles still on their faces.





Christmas Eve day was a little rough for me. I pretty much lay in bed most the afternoon feeling like I was coming down with a stomach bug. Not cool seeing that we had company. Noah and their family went to visit his mom who lives about 45 minutes from us for the day. She had no clue they were in town. Fun surprise! While they were gone I decided to take a nap in hopes I'd feel better afterwards. When I woke up this is what Gavin looked like.....somewhat Mad Scientist-ish. Gavin has been a little candy cane thief and found yet another candy cane to devour. The sticky goodness ended up getting all over and daddy decided to make an attempt at washing his hair, but it ended up making it stick up all over.
That evening we frosted cookies for Santa

Forget cookies and forsting, Gavin loved eating the sprinkles, just like his big brother.
Kendra and I had to join the kiddos in the cookie decorating fun. The one thing I love about being a mom is that I feel like I can be a kid again.
Santa better come to our house with an empty stomach.
Then one of our traditions is to open our Christmas pajamas. Gavin really got into ripping open the wrapping paper. I loved watching him use his little fingers to open his present.
Xavier was a pro at unwrapping his in no time flat.
Gavin couldn't resist touching Miles. Miles was such a good sport having a little shadow the entire time they were with us.
Xavier and Porter in their Christmas pajamas. I totally didn't get a shot of Ronan, Gavin, or Miles in their pajamas. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess sometimes I'm so wrapped up in the moment that I forget to take the pictures. Then we read Luke II and sent the kiddos to bed.
Santa better come to our house with an empty stomach.
Then one of our traditions is to open our Christmas pajamas. Gavin really got into ripping open the wrapping paper. I loved watching him use his little fingers to open his present.
Xavier was a pro at unwrapping his in no time flat.
Xavier and Porter in their Christmas pajamas. I totally didn't get a shot of Ronan, Gavin, or Miles in their pajamas. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess sometimes I'm so wrapped up in the moment that I forget to take the pictures. Then we read Luke II and sent the kiddos to bed.Then the adults stayed up to finish the Christmas morning preparations.
The best part of our story happens late into the night on Christmas Eve. Porter is the main character and I took an excerpt from Kendra's blog so that you could have the story told from the source.......
"If you've ever wondered what would happen if you put pajama pants in the microwave,
(I know, it is a common thing to wonder about)
here is what happens:
well, if they are made out of synthetic materials at least
So, just for the history books-
These are Porter's Christmas Eve pj pants. I guess we let him drink a bit too much before bed. He usually is VERY good. He hardly ever has bed wetting accidents. Like maybe 3 or 4 in his whole life. Well, Christmas Even 2011 happened to be one of them. Poor guy. Anyway, he came into our room at about 3 am and said his pants were wet. We helped him change his undies, and took the pants to dry- to try to salvage them before the morning so he could still wear them in the all the morning pictures. I rinsed out the top part and hung to dry for a while thinking that they might have time to dry. I didn't want to go downstairs to the dryer unless I had to. Well, with a quick check at about 4:30, they were still pretty wet. Noah took them downstairs and put them in the dryer. Even after a while though it wasn't really doing much. So. He took matters into his own hands. It was a pretty good idea I guess, to a 4 in the morning brain. So anyway, he took the pants and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes!! It worked. They were dry in nothing flat. He brought them back up, put them back on Porter and we all went back to bed. Crisis averted.
That is until we all woke up and turned on more lights! As we waited at the top of the stairs Porter said "Mom, why do my pants have black stuff all over them?" Upon closer inspection, they not only had black singe marks, but holes as well where the fabric had literally just been fried! We couldn't believe it! It was such a bummer, yet also so hilarious at the same time. We were all laughing so hard, I almost cried! It was an awesome story, really."
(I know, it is a common thing to wonder about)
here is what happens:
well, if they are made out of synthetic materials at least
So, just for the history books-
These are Porter's Christmas Eve pj pants. I guess we let him drink a bit too much before bed. He usually is VERY good. He hardly ever has bed wetting accidents. Like maybe 3 or 4 in his whole life. Well, Christmas Even 2011 happened to be one of them. Poor guy. Anyway, he came into our room at about 3 am and said his pants were wet. We helped him change his undies, and took the pants to dry- to try to salvage them before the morning so he could still wear them in the all the morning pictures. I rinsed out the top part and hung to dry for a while thinking that they might have time to dry. I didn't want to go downstairs to the dryer unless I had to. Well, with a quick check at about 4:30, they were still pretty wet. Noah took them downstairs and put them in the dryer. Even after a while though it wasn't really doing much. So. He took matters into his own hands. It was a pretty good idea I guess, to a 4 in the morning brain. So anyway, he took the pants and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes!! It worked. They were dry in nothing flat. He brought them back up, put them back on Porter and we all went back to bed. Crisis averted.
That is until we all woke up and turned on more lights! As we waited at the top of the stairs Porter said "Mom, why do my pants have black stuff all over them?" Upon closer inspection, they not only had black singe marks, but holes as well where the fabric had literally just been fried! We couldn't believe it! It was such a bummer, yet also so hilarious at the same time. We were all laughing so hard, I almost cried! It was an awesome story, really."
When Tim and I heard this story Christmas morning we were rolling with laughter. It may not have been funny to Porter, but it is definitely one for the history books. I'm sure he'll be laughing with us in about 5 years when the story is re-told each year.
Santa did a great job this year! The boys walked into the room with eyes popping out of their heads and mouths dropping to the floor. I remember hearing "WOW!"
Santa brought Gavin a crocodile rocker.
Daddy got his blu-ray player.
The boys got light sabers that make noise and light up.
Gavin couldn't get enough of his dump truck.
Oh and those darn candy canes. Santa covered our tree with candy canes and Gavin was ready to eat them all by himself.
At one point he scored about 6. If you look closely he is clutching them close to his chest in this photo. He is running away from Tim because he knows he's not supposed to have that many. It was quite hilarious.
The candy bandit caught red handed.
Grandma and Grandpa Richardson sent Xavier a Darth Vader alarm clock. One of the things he asked Santa for this year.
Aunt Suzy and uncle Cory sent an ABC Redwings book complete with Redwing's autographs. It was an unexpected surprise!
Grandma and Grandpa Richardson also sent a stuffed Yoda for Gavin. He couldn't be happier with a cuddly guy his size.
Santa brought Gavin a crocodile rocker.
The candy bandit caught red handed.
Grandma and Grandpa Richardson sent Xavier a Darth Vader alarm clock. One of the things he asked Santa for this year.
Grandma and Grandpa Richardson also sent a stuffed Yoda for Gavin. He couldn't be happier with a cuddly guy his size.The kids were thrilled with their Christmas surprises and it was wonderful to be able to share those memories with Noah, Kendra, Porter, Ronan, and Miles.
The boys sporting their Christmas outfits for church.
Aren't these boys handsome?
Our great bishopric schedule church at 11 instead of 9 to allow families some extra time this morning. I'm so glad, because having such a big crowd, we were barely able to make it to church on time. Then we had our Christmas dinner. Noah's mother also joined us for the evening. We ate
Rolls, steamed asparagus,
Sweet ham, and homemade scalloped potatoes. Yum yum!
After weeks and weeks of preparing for this wonderful day of the year, it has come and gone. I hope that my family can continue to remember the peace, happiness, and joy today all year long.
"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." - Calvin Coolidge
0 comments:
Post a Comment