I can't believe our little man has started preschool. Since his first day was on a Tuesday I thought we'd make Family Home Evening special for this moment in Xavier's life. I made him a first day of preschool kit that I found on the executivehomaker.com.
Preschool First Day Kit • Starburst: You will be a shining star in school if you smile and always do your best.
• Penny: To remind you that you are a valuable member of the class.
• Sticker: Always stick together and help one another.
• Smarties: You are going to learn SO much in Preschool this
year!
• Eraser: Remember, it’s okay to make mistakes. That is how
we learn.
• Hershey Hug: We all need hugs now and then. If you need
one, let me know.
• Lifesaver: I am here to help you. Don’t be afraid to come
to me if you need something.
We also role played a little on how to act in school. Xavier was ready to go. Then bedtime hit and he was a little nervous. We assured him it would be lots of fun and a chance for him to make lots of friends. Well, when we woke up Tuesday morning there was a huge snow and ice storm so school was cancelled. That was a huge bummer after we had gotten Xavier all excited about his first day. The excitement had to be postponed until Thursday.
Finally the second BIG day came and I of course had to capture this moment by taking some pictures. Xavier was less than willing to appease me. As you can see he didn't want to give me a big cheesy grin.

Mom, do I have to be in the picture?

Okay I'll kind of smile for ya.

Nope, not feeling it mom.

Finally, we got a keeper. He might not look excited in the pictures, but he was just anxious to put his coat on and get out the door.
As we were driving to his preschool I couldn't help but want to turn the car around and keep him home. I was letting my baby go somewhere and I wouldn't be there with him for the first time? It's a strange feeling to have to let go and let them be there own person sometimes. I kept praying that he would be a good boy, that he wouldn't pee his pants because he was nervous, that he would make friends and listen to the teacher. Then as I was lost in my thoughts Xavier said "Mom, I believe in Jesus Christ."
I was taken back by this wonderful testimony he shared with me at the most random moment.
I replied, "I believe in Jesus too."
Xavier said, "A boy I know doesn't believe in Jesus."
I said, "Why do you say that?"
He said, "Because he's mean."
I said, "I'm sure he does believe in Jesus, he's just learning how to get along with others. As he grows up and learns to make good choices he'll be more like Jesus. Sometimes we make mistakes, but that doesn't mean we don't believe in Jesus."
He said, "Yeah. I'm like Jesus."
I said, "Do you know the best way we can be like Jesus?"
He said "What?"
I said, "By being kind to everyone and helping others. You can be like Jesus when you go to school."
The more I thought about this the more I realized that I can't keep Xavier home forever. He will go out into the world as he grows and matures. But this conversation reminded me that as long as I teach my kids about Jesus and to be like Him they can go out into the world and be an example to others. They can know who they are and teach others that too. Plus, knowing that my kids believe in Jesus will help me in knowing they will make good decisions throughout their life.
When we got to Xavier's preschool he was bouncing off the walls with excitement. The other moms were waiting outside the classroom and Xavier met a couple of the kids. As soon as his teacher opened the door Xavier was the first one in the classroom. No hugs, no kisses, he didn't even look back. I was a little sad that I didn't get to give him one last hug. But I was glad that he wasn't clinging to me not wanting to go.
When I came to pick him up though, he yelled "MOM!", ran up to me, and gave me the biggest squeeze ever. It was the best! He had a great time and I can't wait to see how much more he learns from this experience.
4 comments:
This was a beautiful post Ash. I'm so glad he had a good first day! Has it continued to go well? Not only does it show he's growing by the fact that he's starting school, but he actually looks older in those pictures too. Growing up so fast...
It's been good so far Steph. Although of the 4 days he should have gone, 2 days have been cancelled due to snow. Needless to say we've been home way too much and he hasn't gotten into a good routine yet.
Dear Amazingmom and boys :)
I so love your blog!! Probably I say that every time I post. So nice to know that X's first day went well. Have fun (and be safe) with all that snow. Much love, Mom R.
It's still hard for me to send Bauer off to school. I bet Xavier is loving it though!
Post a Comment