I'm hoping somebody out there has some good advice for disciplining a 15 month old. There are some things I've told Xavier not to do over and over and over again. Yet he still does them. When he does them he knows he's not supposed to because he'll look right at me with that little mischievous look or he'll run away from me because he knows I'll take something away from him. It gets to the point when I tell him no he giggles and thinks it's a game. How can I best get my point across? How do you or did you discipline your children at 15 months. I've tried sitting him on my lap for 1 minute right after he does something he's not supposed to, but I don't feel like that is working.
Super Simple Easel Activities For PreK
1 day ago
3 comments:
I'm probably not the best to give advice on this one. Madi and Ethan both have select hearing and act out in outright defiance. The only thing we do that we hope will eventually make a difference is consistency. If they do something they shouldn't, we warn them that if they do it again a certain consequence will occur...something fitting for the crime. Then, if they do it again we have to do exactly what we said we'd do or we lose ALL authority. They still don't mind or listen very often...but they know we mean business when we tell them we'll punish. It's especially hard when they are so little...they are usually just looking for a reaction from you at that age. Good luck...not fun and an ETERNAL battle!
With all of my kids starting at about 15-16 months old we have started putting them in mini time-outs. Whenever we tell them not to do something and they do it anyway, we sit them against the wall and make them fold their arms for about 30 seconds to a minute. At first they sit in time out several times a day, but it doesn't take too long before they figure out that they have to sit down and stop playing (which no 15 month old wants to do) and they start to listen much better. The key is that you have to be very constistant. Good luck!
P.S. we miss you guys!!!
That is so hard. At that age there isn't much you can do. We use "stern face" and the corner. If she hits, for example, she gets two minutes in the corner, then we have a little talk about why she is there and why we don't hit... then she has to say sorry, then she gets hugs. I also think she listens better when I get down at her level - eye to eye. We are all still learning. Good luck!
Post a Comment