A couple nights ago during our family scripture study we were reading a passage in Jacob where it talks about not seeking for things of the world, but seeking after the kingdom of God. We discussed what that meant with Xavier. We talked about how things like toys are nice to have, but they are not as important as helping others and trying to be like our Savior. Tim asked Xavier what he thought he could do to help others. He came up with the idea that he would take all the money from his piggy bank and get food for people who don't have food to eat.
This teaching moment also happened to correspond with a discussion Tim and I had one night about giving a generous fast offering and what we felt in "dollars" that meant for our family. Reflecting on both of these discussions Tim and I learned a greater lesson from Xavier. It was so wonderful to see how Xavier was willing to give all that he had (all the money in his piggy bank) to help others in need. I began to think about how willing I am to help others when asked or when prompted. Do I complain when I serve? Do I see it as a burden or inconvenience? Or Do I see it as an opportunity to practice charity and develop Christlike qualities? This definitely was a moment for me to reflect on where my heart is when I serve and what I am willing to give up to help someone else.
It is this time of year that I find myself craving deeper feelings of peace, joy, love and charity amongst the hustle and bustle of the holiday madness. I'm grateful that Xavier has helped me to remember what this season is all about. It is a time to celebrate Christ and what He teaches us about charity.
2 comments:
That is so sweet! I thoroughly enjoyed Xavier, when you guys came to visit. He has grown up so much, and is really a joy to be around.
LOVE your new family pic! Will we be getting one in a Christmas card?!
Hi Ashley, Rustin and I wanted to send you and Tim a Christmas card--could you email me your address there in PA? thanks!
Erin Richins
rande_richins@hotmail.com
Post a Comment