In the past two weeks we have experienced an earthquake and a hurricane. The earthquake wasn't all that bad. It happened to be on a day Tim was working from home and I was giving Gavin a bath after we had played all morning in the sand at the park. When the shaking first started I almost thought I was going crazy. Then I shouted downstairs to Tim and said "Is our house moving or am I going crazy?" I was glad that I wasn't going crazy. The last time I have felt an earthquake was when I was a kid, so it was a weird feeling when our house started to shake. Go figure, Tim and I lived in California for an entire summer without experiencing one earthquake. Then we move to the East Coast and experience an earthquake in a place where it is rare to have an earthquake happen.
Over the weekend Hurricane Irene reared her ugly head. In preparation for the severe weather we filled our gas tanks, stocked up on water and some groceries, and made sure we had the basic necessities covered. We experienced a lot of rain and strong winds. The power went out a couple times for a short while and we had some minimal flooding in one corner of our basement. Luckily it was just some carpet that got wet and nothing got ruined. We were lucky. Downtown Easton may have flooding tomorrow as the river continues to rise, but we are safe and sound.
As my family and I have experienced two natural disasters in such a short time it has really made me think about our emergency preparedness or lack thereof. It is now my goal and project to get our household more prepared for things like this in the future.
We are praying for those who are closer to the shoreline and hope that others can recover quickly from the aftermath of this disaster.
2 comments:
We love you and we are so glad your safe!!
I'm so glad you guys are okay. It does get you thinking about emergency preparedness, though doesn't it. I always think, "If something were to happen and I couldn't do anything for my kids, who are depending on me to take care of them, I would never forgive myself." So we've been building up our food storage and have a start to our 72 hour kits. I found shopping sales and using coupons to stock up on items when they are cheap is the most reasonable way to afford to do it all. Good luck! We're so glad you are okay!
Post a Comment