"The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice" -Peggy O'Mara
I love this quote and it's something that has been on my mind a lot lately. Since I had Gavin I feel like my patience has dwindled. I am always tired and I feel that that has really affected my mood and my patience. When I lose my patience with my children I find the way I talk to them is not the greatest. Many times I get angry and yell, especially those moments when they are testing the boundaries and limits we set in our home. I am constantly finding myself asking why am I talking that way to my children. So I am trying very hard to be aware of it and stop it in its tracks.
I feel very strongly that if you want your kids to be a certain way you should model that behavior yourself. I don't believe in spanking because I feel that if I were to tell my kids don't hit and then I go and spank them I'm setting up a double standard. As for the quote above, when I read that all I could imagine is my kids inner voice screaming at them. I don't want that. I want my kids inner voice to be a positive one. One that forgives them for their mistakes, cheers them on when they are trying something new, gives them a smile when they accomplish something great, an extra boost of courage when they are scared or nervous, and a voice that is compassionate when they are feeling out of sorts. So I am trying to find alternate ways to handle this major weakness of mine.
I also found a great list that helps remind me of other ways to deal with the stressful moments of parenting besides yelling.......
100 Things To Do Instead Of Yelling Or Spanking
- Take a parental time-out.
- Call for help from a friend or family member (ask them to give you an immediate break if possible).
- Pile everyone in the car and drive to the park (or anywhere – just go for a change of scenery).
- Sing a silly song about how angry you are.
- Do jumping jacks.
- Draw your feelings out.
- Make yourself your favorite snack.
- Write down 3 instances when you felt intense love for your child.
- Clean out your clothes closet and set aside a bag for Goodwill (now would probably not be a good time to do this with the kids’ toys).
- Change the subject – come back to it when you and your child are calmer.
- Whisper.
- Practice progressive relaxation.
- Act like animals: stomp like an elephant, growl like a lion, etc.
- Run around the house (or around the block if your children have alternate childcare).
- Do a load of laundry.
- Set out clothes for the kids for the next week (or do some other task that will pay off later).
- Release tension: shake your shoulders, roll your neck, etc.
- Count to 100. Out loud. In a robot voice.
- Immerse yourself in an easy craft project.
- Dust off the hedge clippers and trim your trees or other landscaping.
- If your child allows it, give him a huge hug and tell him you love him.
- Scream into a pillow.
- Bake cookies (with help from your child), bring some to a neighbor or your local fire department.
- Dance to your favorite song.
- Instead of yelling at your kids to do something, act out your request in a game of charades or pictionary.
- Pluck your eyebrows.
- Clean out the refrigerator.
- Bang your head – to some loud music.
- Write down the angry words you could have said, then rip the paper up and throw it away.
- Do some yoga.
- Rearrange the furniture.
- Make a list of the many reasons you love your child.
- Wash the car by hand.
- Laugh in as many different ways as you can think of (think Mary Poppins).
- Take everyone and go sit in a car wash. Choose the option for colored soap.
- Chocolate.
- Call a friend who supports gentle discipline (think about finding a “gentle discipline partner” who you can talk to anytime you feel the urge to yell or spank).
- Fall down theatrically on the floor. Lie there long enough to collect yourself.
- Pay bills.
- Keep a roll of tape handy – use it on your mouth.
- Squeeze a stress ball.
- Recite multiplication tables.
- Stand as silent and still as possible.
- Paint your nails.
- Do 25 sit-ups.
- Finish a task you’ve been putting off.
- Listen to an audio book.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Ask a silly question. Ask another.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood or a park and clean up the trash.
- Run up and down the stairs.
- Paint on different mediums (paper, rocks, your windows, etc.).
- Write a story using only 100 words.
- Cook a meal for the freezer.
- Look at pictures of your child when she was a baby.
- Play Solitaire (or whatever game strikes your fancy).
- Brew some of your favorite tea or coffee. Have a tea party.
- Sweep, vacuum, or mop.
- Learn something new online.
- Play with Playdough or clay.
- Put a movie on for the kids; have sex with your partner.
- Take a shower.
- Organize meal plans for the next week. Or month. Or year.
- Set up an obstacle course for you and your kids to do (inside or out).
- Instead of shouting something angrily, shout “I love you!!”
- Make up a rhyme about how much you love your child. Recite it while standing on your head.
- Play ball (basketball, throw a tennis ball against a wall, play catch with someone, etc.).
- Take artsy pictures.
- Make a PostSecret postcard.
- Pull weeds.
- Decoupage something.
- Blow bubbles.
- Make a list of “things I would rather do than engage in power struggles with my child.”
- Trade roles with your child: pretend you are the little, and she is the adult.
- Reorganize a closet or cabinet.
- Roll around on an exercise ball.
- Make bread or pizza dough (the kind you have to knead).
- Form a drum circle: everyone grab a drum or a pot, and start playing.
- Build a tower out of books (or anything handy). Knock it down.
- Gather the kids for a nature walk around the block.
- Have a few funny videos saved on YouTube to watch when you need a break.
- Take silly pictures of yourself. Invite your child to help.
- Ask your Facebook or Twitter friends to tell you a joke.
- Scrub the shower.
- Write a poem (it doesn’t have to be a good one).
- Send postcards to random people.
- Make a silly (and unrelated) announcement. (“For the rest of the day, everyone must hop on one foot when moving about the house!”)
- Make funny faces. Tell your child that no matter what, they must not laugh.
- Turn on a videocamera. Turn the opportunity into one of love and connection that you can be proud of later.
- Play an instrument.
- Take the family to a park with sidewalk chalk: write/draw inspirational messages/pictures.
- Learn how to say a few words in another language (ASL, Spanish, etc.).
- Floss.
- Jump rope.
- Do something nice for someone else. (Involve your child if he wants to help.)
- Write your feelings down on paper.
- Meditate or pray.
- Hug your child’s teddy bear or doll and talk about how much you love your child (while your child is watching, if you’d like).
- Look into a mirror and realize what your child is seeing when you are angry.
- Remember your child is young, and innocent, and loves you, and needs to trust you.
3 comments:
All I have to say is "Whew! Ashley yells too?!" That makes me feel better...
I think it's so awesome you guys went to that concert, and got front row seats at that!
THANK YOU FOR THIS. I've never heard that quote and I love it. I have been exploring these thoughts A LOT this year.
I can totally relate...I think it's a constant battle, trying to be firm and discipline yet being gentle and kind at the same time. I love the 100 list.
You have so many fun things you've been doing. How awesome that you got front row at Maroon 5! Happy 8th anniversary!
Post a Comment