Xavier's school hosted a Muffins with Moms breakfast. I was so excited for this day after I had seen the awesome program they did for the dads. I envisioned a memorable day where Xavier would treat me like a super mom. I expected to feel that I was his favorite person in the whole world. I could picture us walking through the door and getting our breakfast, sitting down together, chatting, laughing, and having fun. Then I could picture Xavier belting out the songs they had been practicing and giving me a big old bear hug.

When the day arrived Xavier and I were super excited. I even had Xavier wear this shirt in celebration for this day! Tim was able to work from home so that I could let Gavin nap while Xavier and I had this special time together.
Off we went to school. From the moment we walked through his school doors the events of the breakfast didn't quite unfold the same way as I had envisioned. As soon as we walked in the door Xavier was high as a kite. He didn't want to wait in line for pictures. I insisted we wait in line so he decided to yank on my arm, head butt me in the hip and bite my arm. When we sat down for our picture Xavier wouldn't look at the camera. After we found our seat in the gathering hall he kept kneeling on his chair asking for his breakfast. Finally we were able to get our food and Xavier was happy. ( My first thought was that maybe he was acting funny because he was hungry and just needed a little food)
All I could think was just keep smiling, have fun, and pretend Xavier is being himself. Maybe if I could show him that I was having a good time it would help lift his spirits.
Xavier had made me an oven mitt, a muffin card, a lollipop flower, a flower pot with his picture in it, and place mats for our food. They were wonderful!

Here I'm sporting the Xavier original visor.

Here is my place mat.
After breakfast the teachers passed out some noodles and string so we could make a craft together. We made a bracelet. Xavier didn't want to thread the pasta, so I made my own bracelet and then he decided to start eating the pasta.
(At this point I'm trying really hard to keep smiling)
Then the teachers led the children in singing their songs. I recorded it, but Xavier didn't want to sing.
After the program was over Xavier pretty much ran to the car before I could even say muffin. It's as if he couldn't wait until it was over.
Wow! I felt so loved.
We came home and I told Tim that I was a little disappointed and feeling sorry for myself. I kind of felt like I was the only mom whose kid didn't really care to be at that event.
I had to make this day right. Gavin was still awake when I got home so I put him down for a nap and took Xavier to the park. It was a new park and it had a bunch of climbing equipment, swings, the usual park stuff. The cool thing about this park though, was it was surrounded by trees and it had a river running alongside it. There was also a bridge to walk across.
This is the part of this day I want to remember forever. It was perfect. One of those days you say to yourself this is what life is all about. It was a day I want more of with Xavier. I feel like I'm constantly thinking about all the tasks I have to complete, constantly running from here to there, constantly fulfilling one responsibility or another, and today it was a day where Xavier and I could be free.
We swung on the swings, we buried each others feet in the sand box, we hung upside down on the monkey bars, we chased each other in the grass, we skipped rocks in the river, we hunted for the best sticks to hold, we wrote our names in the sand, we collected as many different wildflowers as we could find, we stuck our feet in the river, and we just SOAKED it all in! It was the best! This one on one time was just what Xavier and I needed to re-connect and bond. I am so grateful for this day. It was at this moment I felt on top of the world and that I loved being Xavier's mom.
Thanks bud for an awesome day!
3 comments:
Xavier's mom does rock!!! I totally know how you feel. One second they drive you crazy, the next they just melt your heart. Sometimes you feel like a terrible mom, sometimes you feel like you're doing something right. It's a constant rollercoaster, but you are an AMAZING mother!
What an awesome post so honest so perfect. I loved it. That's a very cute t-shirt by the way!
I agree with Linz, honest and perfect! Exactly what all moms go through at one time or another! You're an awesome mom and Xavier just wanted to spend time with just you!!
Post a Comment