Saturday, July 24, 2010

I miss Michigan

This week has been quite an emotional roller coaster for Xavier. He started out the week with a fever of 102+, then daddy had to go back to work full time, scouts, a work dinner, etc. Xavier didn't see daddy much because of his hectic schedule. And Gavin obviously takes quite a bit of attention from me. He finally had a major meltdown Thursday evening and just cried and cried and cried some more.

It started after we came home from the park and I was about to make dinner. Xavier just cried and begged me to cuddle with him on the couch. He said "I miss Michigan. I miss Skyler. I miss Kameron. I miss my old house. Is someone else playing in my old house now? I miss daddy. (and on and on.) I'm sad about the bee stinging James' nose." As his mom I just wanted it to all go away. I didn't want him to be sad. I didn't want him to miss Michigan. I wanted him to be happy and love his new home. Then I decided to just hug him, love him and let him cry. It about broke my heart. And I have had a lot of those same feelings. Then when he saw daddy the next day he seemed to be back to his normal self. I learned that I was naive in thinking that Xavier has fully adjusted to his new life in Pennsylvania. I learned that it will still take more time for all of us to feel comfortable in our new setting and our new routine with Gavin in the home. Plus, I realized that I don't want Xavier to think that crying and being sad is a bad thing, because it's not. Sometimes we just need a good cry and a new day to make it okay again.

0 comments: