Saturday, September 17, 2011

First Day of Preschool

Our preschooler!
When Xavier woke up for his first day of preschool he was a little grouchy. (This was not the way I was hoping the day would start) And he had a big fat red mark on his forehead. I asked what happened and he told me he was exercising in his room last night. I asked him what sort of exercises he was doing and he demonstrated what looked like a butterfly stroke combined with his head face down moving side to side on the floor. Hence he got a rug burn on his forehead. Never a dull moment. Never a dull moment.

I was planning on making a special breakfast when Xavier's grumpiness quickly turned into tears. I gave him a big hug and assured him that I always got a little nervous for my first day of school too. After some TLC and a good breakfast to start the day he was in better spirits.

When we got to his school he saw one of his really good friends. I was so glad he saw a familiar face to help with his nerves a little bit.

And then there was another obstacle. Xavier's class is normally in the basement, but because we've had a ton of rain lately the basement had some minor flooding. They moved Xavier's class upstairs for the day. Xavier did not like this and insisted on going to the basement. I had to explain to him several times his class was upstairs just for the day. It took him a while to get used to another change he wasn't expecting. Then I gave him a big hug and said a little prayer that he would have a good first day.

After looking forward to this day for a couple weeks, I walked out of his school doors and instantly wanted to run back in and take him home. All I could think was what if he doesn't make any friends? What if he doesn't like his teacher? What if his teacher doesn't like him? What if kids are mean to him? My baby is getting too big too fast and I hated missing him for even one second or leaving him in someone else's care. Yet I realized that he needs to have the opportunity to take this next step in his development.

When I picked him up he ran up to me and gave me a big hug. I was so glad to see a smile on his face and to hear that he had a great first day at school.

1 comments:

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

I can't believe how big he is. I have to say, it brought a little tear to my eye reading this post. Next thing we know, he will be taking his drivers training test:( Seriously! He is growing way to fast. I did laugh at the fact he decided to do exercises in the middle of the night! He's hilarious!!