Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School

Twas the night before school started;
When all through the town
The parents were cheering....It was a riotous sound.
By eight the kids were washed
And tucked into bed
When memories of homework
Filled them with dread.
New pencils, new folders, New notebooks, too,
New teachers, new friends- Their anxiety grew.
The parents just giggled when they learned of this fright.
And shouted, “Upstairs! GO TO BED! IT’S A SCHOOL NIGHT!”

I feel as excited and anxious as I did when I was going to school. Call me a nerd, a bookworm, a teacher's pet, but I don't care. I loved school. I could be an eternal student if you could get paid to do it. There is nothing like a new backpack, a new outfit, new books, new friends, and lots of learning to excite me.

As Xavier begins his education journey I wanted to make sure he started it with positive energy. This year I started a new tradition. The back to school tradition idea came from my sister who has done it with her kids every year.

First I chose a theme: This year our family theme is charity. I feel that it is so important to create unity in the home and that charity is the key. So I framed a quote that we will hang to remind us of this theme.

The second thing we did was have a special back to school dinner. Let's just say the perfectionist in me always has the entire event planned out in my mind of how the evening will go. This one did not follow my plan. For dinner I made a spring mix salad with blackberries, strawberries, a little parmesan and a vinaigrette dressing. The main course was a crockpot cashew chicken with pea pods and bamboo shoots. The meal smelled delicious as it was cooking. Then the last half hour I was supposed to add the bamboo shoots. As soon as they were added a terrible smell started to circulate throughout our house. Tim kept asking why it smelled like a dirty diaper. Yeah, well, it was the stinkin bamboo shoots. They were pretty pungent.

In hopes of saving our dinner, we decided to go with it and eat the food despite the smell. After a couple bites Tim said that after being on a mission he could eat anything. Then I decided I couldn't take another bite. So, my "special" dinner took on a new meaning for "special"; meaning it was one of a kind.

Thankfully I had a bowl of apples to wash down the chicken and at least save our taste buds. Next year I'll just go with a regular family favorite meal instead of trying something new and fancy. (or in this case "special")

The chicken didn't seem to bother the kids because they didn't eat it. Xavier was complaining of feeling sick and didn't have much of an appetite and it turned out he had a fever to boot.
So not only did the meal literally stink, but Xavier felt crumby. All I wanted to do was make this night special for X-man. I guess I'm noticing a theme here. "Special". Maybe next year we'll go with making the evening fun! You can't go wrong with fun.
This little back to school subway art was the centerpiece of our table.

At dinner we talked about how exciting Xavier's pre-school year will be with new teachers, new friends, and some old friends from his class last year. Tim had to pose his serious intellectual face for us too.
It was hard to get a smile out of our sicky, but Tim managed to sneak a few jokes that got Xavier smiling.
After the chicken debacle Tim made us all giggle by using the apple slices as walrus teeth. I'm so glad that my husband can always make light of situations and help us all laugh.
Gavin liked it!


Our third activity was a Back to School Scavenger Hunt. I found a really cute one online, so I didn't write it. I'm certainly grateful to the person who shared it.
Xavier was super excited about getting his first box of 120 Crayola crayons.




Our last activity was Tim giving Xavier and Gavin Father's blessings. I was also given a blessing to help me in my role as wife and mother. This was my favorite part of the entire evening.
Despite the stinky chicken and Xavier feeling sick we had an enjoyable evening and a few stories to laugh about when we talk about this tomorrow. (Just a side note, we did this yesterday, Monday, so Xavier isn't going to school with a fever. He had all day Tuesday to rest and is doing well. So he will still be able to go to school tomorrow, Wednesday. I definitely wouldn't be sending a feverish kid to school even if it is the first day.)

Sweet dreams everyone. I'm off to bed. It's a school night for me too. I must get my sleep.

4 comments:

Mom/Dad R. said...

Dear beautiful daughter,
What with the garden and all, I haven't read your blog for too long of a time (yikes, very poor English) anyway, I should be getting ready for school right now, but having trouble tearing myself away from you and the boys. Hug the "walrus" for me.
Love you, and miss you all
Mom

Stephanie said...

What awesome traditions Ash. I loved it all. I have always looked forward to being married to a priesthood holder so that our children could get blessings at the start of the school year. Then I was blessed with a daughter who is totally freaked out about blessings. She gets upset if we even suggest it! Weird. We've sort of forced her when it's been because she was sick, but I can't bring myself to force it upon her for a reason like this. :( Hope she grows out of it soon!

The Lindsays said...

I love the school subway art...did you create that or find it somewhere? If you have a copy or a link, I'd love one! Very cute. Sorry Xman was sick.

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

Ash, you are AMAZING!! I get so many great ideas from you. I hope X is loving school. I'm sorry your meal didn't turn out, I've had days like that. It sounded delish though! Been missing you guys lately! Love you!