Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A few of my favorite things

These are a few of my favorite things as of late......
Xavier loves this movie and I really liked it too. The soundtrack is great too. We've started listening to it before Xavier goes to school in the morning and I find myself wanting to get up and dance every time the music is playing. A little Samba anyone?

This was a new recipe we tried recently and it was so yummy I'm adding it to our favorites list.

Spinach Artichoke White Bean Crostini

Yield: 15 crostini

ingredients:

15 (1/4-inch thick) slices French baguette
Olive oil, for brushing baguette slices
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup artichoke hearts (from jar), drained and chopped
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Using a pastry brush, brush the baguette slices lightly with olive oil. Bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine white beans, artichokes, spinach, basil, garlic, lemon juice, and feta cheese. Stir gently. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

3. Spoon spinach and artichoke mixture onto the toasted baguette slices. Serve immediately.




We have had A LOT of rain lately and when I say a lot it's the most rain this area has gotten on record for the months of August and September. Xavier and I have found a new activity to enjoy together. Yoga. Xavier asks to do this every day during Gavin's naptime. It gets the wiggles out and is a great way to exercise even when we're stuck inside.
We've also tried Wai Lana's Little Yogis. In her DVD we did a lot of animal poses which Xavier really liked.

My new favorite workout DVD is this Cardio Core workout. It's a great interval training workout that includes core workouts too. I've tried a lot of Cathe Friedrich's workouts and love them all. She has a lot of variety and it kicks your butt. She's definitely good at shocking your body and most of her workouts are designed for those who workout at home.

The Kettlebell is another one of my new favorite workout tools. Jillian MIchael's has a few workouts using the kettlebell which are really great. You can even use a hand weight in place of the kettlebell and it serves the same purpose.

A couple things I'm looking forward to......

Although I don't think the movies have lived up to the books reputation, I still am looking forward to seeing this in theaters. I need a girls night.


I really like Coldplay's new single and I hope their new CD is as good as all their other stuff.
What are your favorite things right now?

3 comments:

Linz said...

Ash, I am so stoked for the Coldplay CD, but maybe not as much as Nate. He memorized the words to their two released songs withing the first 24 hours they were out!

Could you recommend some kid yoga DVDs to me? I am so grateful for your "grown-up" exercise DVD recommendations. I have recently cancelled my gym membership and I'm interested in doing more home work-outs.

I love your blog!!!! It's full of joy!

The Richardson Clan said...

The only two kid yoga DVD's we've tried are the storyland yoga and the Wai Lana's little yogis. Both really good. I want to try Gaiam Kids:Yogakids fun collection and Yoga Kids: For ages 3-6. Both of these are on my Amazon wishlist. I know some cities or community centers have mommy and me yoga classes. (just a thought if you're kids like doing yoga. it would be a fun mommy and daughter outing idea.)

For grown up workouts you can't go wrong with Cathe Friedrich- she's tough, but you feel awesome after doing her workouts. I like a challenge and she does just that. Good luck. If you ever have any questions I have a lot of at home workout DVD's.

Linz said...

Thank you, Ash! Yes I might ask you for more suggestions but I'm excited about trying out these. Thanks again!