Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day

Since Tim was out of town this Valentine's Day I had to keep Xavier and Gavin busy to make it extra special so they wouldn't miss their daddy so much. We started the day eating some granola parfaits. Granola, pink yogurt, raspberries, and bananas. We made it a goal to eat as many red and pink things in our day. We'll see how we did.....





After breakfast I sent Xavier on a heart scavenger hunt. I taped hearts throughout the house and asked him to find them. On the back of each heart was some type of activity he had to perform (i.e. do 10 jumping jacks, run backwards, hop like a bunny around the room, slither like a snake, etc.) Xavier loved running around the house looking for hearts and getting some wiggles out at the same time.


Our next activity was musical hearts. I found some love songs online and as we listened to them we chased each other around the hearts. When each song stopped we had to hop on a heart. (maybe not your traditional musical chairs, but with only two people I had to modify.)



For some sensory fun I put together a sensory box of all sorts of beans and then mixed in some heart stickers, conversation heart candies, plastic hearts with surprises inside, and a bunch of puzzles pieces that had a mystery Valentine message. Gavin loved just feeling the beans in a bowl and dumping them all over the floor (I definitely had to watch him closely so he wouldn't eat them) Xavier is a puzzle maniac, so he really liked having to find all the puzzle pieces and put them together.
Here is Xavier putting together the puzzle.

The final product.

Lunch time- we made heart grilled cheese with a little ham on the side, raspberries again, tomatoes, red peppers and some veggie hummus. This was our hearth healthy lunch.



In the afternoon we played another scavenger hunt type of game. I had 5 clues hidden around the house. The first clue had a big heart and asked Xavier to put his body together. With each clue was another part of the heart's body- arms, legs, hair, face, etc. The last clue sent him to uncover a treat and a prize for guessing the clues correctly.

Victory!


Gavin was quite fond of his sock monkey- surprise surprise! My little sock monster and his sock monkey- oh so in love!

To complete our day of love and fun we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, watched Charlie Brown's Valentine, and had a lesson about loving others just like Jesus. We had a wonderful day thinking of all the people we loved and spending time with each other (minus daddy).

1 comments:

Linz said...

I love the idea of searching for puzzles pieces in a sensory tub! Awesome! And the heart-healthy lunch, too perfect.