Here are some of the many activities we've been doing during January......
Here is a mitten sun catcher. This was one of my favorites.
Xavier made a bubble wrap snowman. I cut circles out of bubble wrap. Then I had Xavier dip them in paint and stamp it on his paper. Then he added his face, arms, etc. with collage material.
Xavier enjoys glitter a lot, so we made popsicle stick snowflakes and he added glitter glue with a q-tip to the snowflakes.
I really like this one because it was all Xavier. I told him to draw a picture of him playing in the snow. So, he drew himself and his friends playing in the snow (the black doodles). Then he took a cotton ball, dipped it in white paint and made "snow" all around him and his friends.
Another collage snowman. Xavier really liked using the buttons on his snowman.
For this craft I cut out some snowflakes, taped them to paper plates and had Xavier paint over them. Then we removed the snowflake to show the outline.
Shaving cream art. Xavier loved playing with this. It was like playing with snow inside and his hands weren't cold afterwards. We even practiced writing some letters.
I also put together a mitten match where he had to match mittens with different patterns together.
Snowman math: I cut different pieces of a snowman out of felt and we rolled a dice. Xavier then had to count the dots on the dice and count that many pieces of the snowman. As we rolled the dice we were able to add more pieces to our snowman until it was complete. Then we counted the total number of parts to the snowman.
Sorting: I hole punched different shapes (hearts, stars, flowers) Then I had Xavier sort them into the proper groups.
Active play: We played sports charades. Xavier loved this game. All we did was act out different sports without talking and the others had to guess what sport it was. This got us moving and laughing too.
Another active play idea: We each chose two paper plates, put on some music, and started to "ice skate" on our paper plates. It worked best in our kitchen because the floor was easier to slide our plates on.

2 comments:
Are you sure your major at MSU wasn't early childhood education?! How do you do the mitten sun catcher? I so want to do a few of these next week.
The sun catcher was really easy- just cut out a mitten from card stock or any kind of paper and then cut out the middle so you just have the border. Then place it on some contact paper. Give your kids a bunch of tissue paper squares in whatever colors you want and let them stick them to the contact paper. Then place another piece of contact paper on top. I hope that makes sense. If you have any other questions let me know.
Post a Comment