Sunday, February 8, 2009

Xavier is growing up

I can't believe Xavier will be 2 in April. It seems like yesterday I was leaving the hospital with this 7 lb. 11 oz. little baby. Now almost 28 lbs. and energetic as ever I am finding many new challenges with this little guy. Friday was quite the eventful day. Xavier did something naughty so I put him in his crib for time out. The next thing I knew he was at the top of the stairs. How in the world did he get out of his crib?

Well, then I put him down for his nap. I guess he didn't want to go down because before I made it to the bottom of the stairs he managed to escape again. I calmly picked him up, gave him a big kiss, and put him back in his crib. I shut his door all the way hoping this would dissuade him from jumping out. Well, it didn't. Once again he escaped within seconds and started pounding on the door while yelling "want door on" (which means want door open.

All I could think was be consistent, be consistent. So for the 3rd time I put him in his crib. This time, afraid he might break his leg or neck one of these times I sat in the chair until he fell asleep. Phew!

I thought we were safe. After about an hour or so I went to listen at his door just to make sure he was still sleeping. I then proceeded to my bedroom. I heard a quiet rustling of some sort, but decided it was my neighbors or something. I turned around and there was my little boy with the biggest grin on his face. He just said "Hi mommy" and waved his little hand in the air.

I couldn't believe it he had escaped his crib 4 times and had figured out how to open the door.

What are we going to do now? No corner or room or crib is safe now. I guess he's letting us know it's time for a big boy bed and time to put some safety covers on our doors.

5 comments:

The Lindsays said...

I tell ya, they just keep you guessing, don't they? Once you have a stage figured out they go and grow up on you and challenge your skills again. It's difficult, but so fun to see them grow. Good luck! Now the naps will probably slow down...oh, sad day!

Aubreydoll said...

Oh no! We had that problem once, but I kept up with the Supernanny technique of putting him back in his crib every time he got out and we haven't had anymore trouble, thank goodness! Good luck!

Stephanie said...

Oh man, I dread the day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is my Sabrina! She can get out of anything! She can also open doors that have the little things on the handles that are supposed to be kid-proof. We have to gate her into her room for naps and bed time. It took her a couple of weeks...yes weeks...before she finally stopped crying at the gate and just went to bed. Whenever I think it has been long enough and we don't need the gate again, she comes out. Apparently, when I put her to bed she gets out of bed and opens the door to see if the gate is there. Once she sees the gate, she shuts the door and goes back to bed. She will be 3 in July, and once we got the gate system down, she started taking great naps again. I hope they will last until this fall when Emma AND Justice will both be in school. My life will get easier then!