Sunday, February 22, 2009

Parenting Woes

So this week has been one of those weeks where I feel like all my efforts at parenting have failed. Xavier is getting to be more difficult to handle when we are in social settings. He is such a curious boy that no matter how calmly and patiently I try to teach him that he has limits to where and where he cannot explore he pretty much does what he wants anyway. If I try to "reign him in" so to speak he fights me kicking and screaming all the way. Welcome to terrible twos huh? So I find myself losing patience more and more easily. Then I start to raise my voice and wonder in my head why he's behaving so badly (when he should "know better"). Then it dawned on me that I'm kind of throwing my own temper tantrum that goes something like this: Xavier I want you to act my way. Why won't you act my way? Ughhhhhh! Act my way now! It might not be in those exact words, but I think that's how Xavier sees it. So I'm hoping that if I try harder this coming week to stay patient when it's hardest not to I might have a little more success with Xavier. Lesson learned: If I want my child to behave properly I need to behave a little more maturely as well. We'll test out this theory and see if it works. Oh and I guess I have to remember he's not even 2 yet. He's still learning his limits and I'm just going to have to understand he wants a little more independence- I'm just going to have to be a little more creative in how I let him gain that independence.

Oh and as a side note during one of my less favorable moments this week Xavier just out of the blue said "Mommy's a pretty princess". How sweet is that. That's when I realized he's just a normal toddler or human being for that matter; we all have our good moments and our not so good moments. This was a great moment for me and helped me realize that he is a super kid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you! I have had at least one kid in this "stage" for almost 4 years now. You just do the best you can, pray a LOT, and remember that kids are incredibly forgiving...we should be too.
By the way, my kids love it when I go to your site...it suddenly becomes "Dance Party USA" because they love the music you have. :)

Aubreydoll said...

It's hard to remember that these tiny little people don't really think the same way we do! I get so frustrated when Bauer has to be put in time-out for the same things over and over and over. Like you said, he should know better! But, then I remember he's only 3 and is still learning every second of every day...
Good luck with being more patient!

The Lindsays said...

It's such a hard age...you have a good grip on things and are doing amazingly well. The important thing is you're aware and trying to be better. Some days are easier than others and you are a fantastic mom. Good luck.

Linz said...

We got early terrible two's at our house. You seem to be handling super well! Before Violet was two, there were times that she would kick and scream when she wouldn't want to leave and I would have to put my body weight on her legs just to get her car seat straps on! If it gives you any hope, at 2 1/2, she is so not terrible! Maybe dealing with these issues early means you don't have to deal with them so much later!