Monday, March 1, 2010

Potty Time

After many failed attempts at trying to encourage Xavier to potty train we've had a few successes lately. He's by no means anywhere close to using the toilet consistently, but I am grateful for a few glimmers of hope we've seen recently.

Xavier usually has two times he prefers to sit on the toilet. The first is during sacrament when he loudly states, "Mommy I have to go poop on the potty!" What a wonderful and spiritual moment. It's not so much him having a desire to go to the bathroom, but rather an excuse to get out of sitting in sacrament meeting.

The second time he insists on going to the bathroom is right after we've tucked him in and gotten him ready for bed. Nice stalling tactic huh? But it's the one thing he knows I will never say no to. So in the past week he has peed on the toilet three nights before bed and yesterday he went poop. I never thought I'd be so happy about bodily functions.

So, I'm not banking on anything, but it's a baby step in the right direction.

2 comments:

The Lindsays said...

It's a success! YAY!

Ethan has been going potty too, but only when we tell him to. If we don't tell him, he doesn't do it and has accidents. No sense of urge or anything. He still hasn't pooped. It's been three weeks. I'm getting worn out. I thought if I kept getting him on the potty enough he'd start recognizing when he had to go, but it's still not happening. UGH! I HATE potty training. Maybe by Kindergarten?! ;-) Good luck to you!

Aubreydoll said...

You have to start somewhere!! (I have to say this clears up why your or Tim always take him out of Sacrament meeting with a diaper...and then come back with the diaper! I've always wondered...) :)