Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 Gingerbread House

Last year we started our gingerbread house making tradition. This year I saw a picture of a really cute and "healthier" gingerbread house in Parents magazine so I thought I'd try it out. You know me, I'm always looking for ways to cut a little sugar and add a few healthier options. It turned out pretty good, but it lacked color so we went ahead and added some candy for an extra splash of color. I guess healthy isn't always as fun! We had a blast making it together as a family and Xavier loved eating all the candy. We couldn't get the icing on as fast as he was eating the treats. (Wow, kinda of sounds like a flashback from last year.)



Xavier is shouting "Tuh-duh!!" in this shot. He was so proud of his gingerbread house.



I dyed pumpkin seeds green so we could make some trees out of them. We used pineapple for the windows and framed them with pretzels.


The roof was frosted with peanut butter and topped with frosted mini wheats. We used unsweetened coconut for the snowy affect.



The blue things on the edge of the roof are dried blueberries and Tim did the icing to look like dripping snow. He did a good job don't you think?



Of course, we added some gumdrops and little round candies for a little more color. Voila our completed 2009 Richardson Gingerbread House.

1 comments:

The Lindsays said...

Wow! Who would have thought it could be healthy?! Great idea! Turned out cute.