I guess the easiest way to update everyone on our adventure is to do it day by day. Here goes.
Wednesday May 28th: I got rear-ended while driving to my last young women's activity. I was stopped at a red light and so was the H3 that was behind me. The light turned green and the cars started moving. Apparently the car behind me wanted to try to drive over me. Thanks to her town hooks, her car is fine and I have to get my entire back bumper replaced.
Thursday May 29th: Just a regular day of packing. Nothing too exciting.
Friday May 30th: We picked up the Uhaul truck. Our original request was for a 17 foot truck. They gave us a 26 foot truck. As Tim was parking the truck outside of our complex he miscalculated the space between the truck and our neighbors van and hit the side of their back bumper. They have to replace their entire bumper. Dealing with them was a headache, but has been going smooth now that the insurance is handling it.
Dave was supposed to pick up our keys in East Lansing. He waited for well over an hour to get the keys and apparently they weren't ready. We wouldn't get our keys until Saturday morning. Dave and Katie drove up to BH to help us load up the moving truck. Then we stayed up until about 2 am cleaning and loading the truck.
Saturday May 31st: Moving DAY! We woke up at 6 am. Rise and shine. :)I stayed in Bloomfield Hills to clean while Tim drove the truck to East Lansing. They had the truck unloaded in about 1 hour. Then they took the truck to Dave's (Tim's brother), loaded all their furniture, and helped them move into their new apartment.
Luckily we got the keys when we arrived in East Lansing with the truck. After our stuff was unloaded Joe (Tim's brother) had to use the restroom. When he flushed the toilet Tim's mom said it sounded like he was taking a shower. They went downstairs to see where the water was running to and found that there was a leak in the sewage line. So they had to come replace some of the sewage piping. After that, a professional cleaning company came to bleach and clean the entire basement.
Sunday June 1st: Unpacked as much as we could and went to church.
Monday June 2nd: We called Comcast several times to get our cable and internet hooked up. But our leasing company had to turn the cable on to our townhouse first before Comcast could do anything. No cable/internet that day.
We turned our AC on and discovered an awful smell. Basically it smells like one of two things-- cat pee or outhouse. Let's just say it's disgusting and we cannot run our AC. Even without running the AC the smell is still in our home. They tried running an odor block on our furnace but that just made it smell like cherry flavored cat pee. Thanks former resident cat lady:{ I'm sure that having your cats use the vents as urinals is standard procedure where this lady must have been from.
Our washer and dryer were delivered.
Dishwasher is leaking.
Tuesday June 3rd: More issues trying to set up our cable and internet. Unsuccessful.
Tried using washer for the first time and discovered something was broken inside the drum.
Property manager scheduled a company to come in on Friday to clean out the entire vent system in our townhouse hoping this would solve the cat pee odor. (We don't think it will get rid of the smell completely)
Wednesday June 4th: Finally got cable and internet set up after several more calls and about 2 hours on the telephone.
Trying to make our townhouse as livable as possible amongst all the chaos.
At about 12:30 am the people across the street get a nice loud knock at the door. A woman was screaming for them to open the door. They did and they started "throwin down". We waited for about 5-10 minutes and decided to call the police. The police came to see what the disturbance was all about. They were there for at least an hour. Not much sleep happening that night.
Thursday June 5th: Washer fixed. I can finally do my endless piles of laundry.
The police were back at our neighbors.
Toilet is now leaking.
We talked to the property manager and have decided to move into a different unit. He will have a moving company move all our big furniture and we will be moving the small stuff over. He has offered to carpet the entire townhouse with new carpet. He will be putting new vinyl in all the places that have it. He will be painting all the rooms for us with whatever colors we choose. We feel it's not worth it to live in a place that has had one problem after another. So, after being in boxes for almost a month, we are not finished yet.
I hope this doesn't come across as me complaining. I just had to document everything so that we can tell this story to our kids one day. It's been a long week for us and we just want to be safe, settled, and at home once again. Mostly for Xavier's sake. He has been a trooper amongst all the stress and uncertainty.
Super Simple Easel Activities For PreK
1 day ago
7 comments:
OH BOY! Dad told Kendra and Kendra filled me in on some of the details. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Is everything going to work out okay with your car? When do you move into the other unit? Thank goodness you can get into another unit...hopefully that one is MUCH better. I wish we were there to help you move everything, again. What a huge pain. Good luck with everything and here's to better days.
Reading this broke my heart! I hope that all is well with your new unit. Not a great start to grad school, but hopefully things will get better.
(Hope)
Oh YUCK! What an awful week. Stuff like that stresses me out to no end. Our move into our house was similar, but not as bad, so I can only relate to an extent. I feel a small piece of your stress right now, as we have been out of power since yesterday and it's not estimated to be back until Tues. So if you uh, want some help unpacking maybe we'll come help you and at the same time, partake of your lights, running water, and AC :)
p.s. By the way, I'm excited you're here!
Oh my gosh! I can't believe all this!
Crazy times! Now I know why we resigned our lease even though they jackd up the rent. Moving is such a hassle. I remember that we had a little accident with our trailer when we moved here, but nothing compared to what you've been through. Have you spoken to the Tiltons about if they had any trouble there?
Holy moley. Wish that we could have been there to help. At you least you all made it one piece. Better luck in the near future.
Oh my gosh, I knew most of that before I left, but I can't believe how many problems you guys have had! I agree, it's probably better for you to move into a different townhouse than to stay there with all those problems.
Post a Comment