Thursday, May 1, 2008

Xavier's Surgery

Xavier's surgery was a success. We arrived at the surgical center at 6:00 am on Tuesday morning. Xavier was wide awake and happy even though he was up earlier than usual. He spotted a little kids play nook as soon as we walked in the door and picked up a life-sized Pooh stuffed animal. He tried carrying it around the waiting area but kept tripping over it. You could tell he was still a little tired because he was stumbling and falling all over the place. You wouldn't have thought by how happy he was that he was about to have a surgical procedure done.
The procedure of getting ear tubes is done at a surgical center that only does these types of procedures. So when we got there, about 5 or 6 kids around the same age as Xavier were also waiting to get the procedure done. It was almost like an assembly line for ear tubes. The nursing staff was very friendly, professional, and awesome at keeping us informed as to what would be happening. They helped me feel comfortable with our decision to have this done.
I put on a robe and hat over my clothes and went with Xavier into the surgical room. They put a mask on him to put him to sleep and I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to help keep him calm. He was not happy about the mask, but fell asleep within 30 seconds. Then they escorted me back to the waiting area. Even though I knew this was the right thing to do for Xavier, it was so difficult walking out of that room and leaving him with the doctor. At that point I realized it was out of my hands, I had no control from here on out. I hate having that feeling. I just had to keep praying that everything would turn out okay. Tim and I sat down for about 5-10 minutes maximum and the doctor came out to tell us Xavier did great. It was that fast! I couldn't believe it.
The nurse took us back to see Xavier and I could hear him screaming all the way down the hall. He was not happy coming out of the anesthesia. I just held him and sang. We took him home and let him watch his Baby Einstein DVD that he loves. It took about an hour to calm him down and after that he was just fine. The rest of the day he was his normal little self. What a relief to have this done.
Thank you to everyone for your prayers. Our little hero has once again showed us what a brave little boy he is.

7 comments:

The Lindsays said...

I'm so glad everything went well. I'm actually impressed that they let you go into the surgical room with him until he was out...when Madi had surgery they took her from us and walked down the hall to the surgical room with her wide awake, looking at us like we were traitors! It really is the most sickening feeling leaving your little baby in the hands of the doctors...hoping they will do right by your trust?! It's hard too not being with them during the procedure, wondering if they'll wake up scared, etc. Even though you're pretty sure they'll be okay, it's hard not to be there and comforting them. Again, we're so glad it all went well and Xavier is back to his happy self!

Aubreydoll said...

Wow, I had no idea it was such a fast procedure. That's awesome! I'm so glad that everything went well and that your little man jumped right back to being himself!

Linz said...

What an experience for all three of you. I know you will be so glad you did this. Way to be brave!

Sarah said...

I'm glad that everything went so well. Three cheers for the X-man! How long will he have to have them in?

Tim R said...

Hey Sarah. Thanks for the comments. They will work themselves out within 2 years or so.

The Richardson Clan said...

Thanks everyone. We're glad he's his normal happy self too. And he has slept throught the night for 3 nights in a row. The first time ever! :) Sleeping baby = happy mom.

The Lindsays said...

Amen to your sentiments...I'm so glad Xavier is sleeping and you can get some much needed sleep! Both of you should be needing a lot of it!?!