I've been running a lot this year and I have come to enjoy it more than ever. Years ago I always thought it would be a great goal to run a marathon. I've come to terms with the fact that I will never love running enough to train for a marathon, but I definitely want to run a half marathon. My knee has been giving me troubles this year which I think is a result from overuse. I've seen my doctor and I guess your body can do too much of something. So I took it easy for about a week and kept going ha ha! It's hard for me take it easy.
This fall I signed up to run a 10k for the first time. I've run the distance on my own many times, but never in an event. So I thought I'd give it a go.
It was just me this time. I was a little nervous going into it because I saw a lot of seasoned runners at this event. I never played team sports growing up so an event like this was pretty new to me. I've done 5k's and mud runs but this seemed a little different and maybe since I didn't do it with anyone I had more time to think and worry. At least when I've done things in the past with friends we distracted each other with silly conversation. Xavier had two soccer games that day so they would not be there to see me finish. This was just something I wanted to do for myself. A lot of the running was on trails which I don't particularly like and made me a little hesitant to push full speed because I was trying to not turn an ankle or injure my knee even more. I continued the race and finished feeling great! I did it! As I approached the finish line to my surprise these fabulous boys were waiting for me. That was the absolute best part of my run! I'm so glad my boys got to see their mommy complete a goal and to support me in my efforts.
There isn't a trophy out there that would be more fulfilling than seeing these guys at the end of my run! I'm so grateful for a husband who supports me and loves me too!
Since we were in a time crunch I didn't even stay to see the results. We left so we could get to Xavier's soccer games on time. I checked my results five days later. I was 5th in my age group and 27th overall out of about 110 runners. I was definitely surprised and very happy with my results. Plus, I had a PR for my run time of 55:37 which as an average of 8:54 per mile. All in all it was a great day!





0 comments:
Post a Comment