Thursday, March 6, 2014

Xavier

I thought I'd do a post on each kid and what they are up to these days.  
First, Xavier.  
This winter Xavier has been able to start basketball for the first time.  Our community runs a clinic for 5 to 7 year olds which has been perfect.  The kids don't play on teams yet, they just focus on learning the fundamentals of footwork and ball handling.  Xavier loved it.  I usually took him, but every time Tim was able to pop in after work Xavier's face lit up.  He would get so excited.  Then he'd make this serious face as if he was trying super duper hard to get everything right.  I think he wanted to impress his dad.  I think this is another winning sport for him.  Tim is definitely as excited about it seeing that he still plays every week himself.


The coach running the clinic was superb with the kids.  He had a magical presence and when he spoke those kids listened and did exactly what he said.  Xavier is the one standing up.

Xavier has also been taking a robotics class that teaches kids to follow instructions, work as a team, put a lego model together, and program it into the computer so that it would do different functions.  Some of the things he built were a top, lion that stood up, roared, and sat down, a goal kicker, and a few others.  He really enjoyed doing this.  He definitely has an engineering mind so it was a perfect fit.  We hope he can do the advanced class in the Spring.

Finally,  I have to write about a few things that have happened recently.  The first is our fish Lucky passed away.  It was a sad day for our family.  We have had this fish for a long time.  Saturday March 1 we noticed Lucky having trouble swimming to the top of the bowl.  I told Xavier that Lucky wasn't looking so great and that he might not live longer hoping to prepare him for the inevitable.  We went about our day and by the time we got home Lucky was dead.   Xavier instantly broke out in tears!  He was devastated and I couldn't help but hurt in my own heart.  I wish I could take this pain away from him.

We just sat and rocked together while he cried and worked through his grief.  He kept saying things like, "Mom maybe we didn't feed him the right food or often enough.  Maybe we should have cleaned his bowl more often.  Maybe I should have talked to him more often."  To see his mind working out ways he could have saved Lucky was such a reminder of what a tender heart he has. After he was calmed down a bit and could speak the first thing he asked to do was pray for Lucky.  I thought this was such a wonderful way for him to have some closure and reassurance that Lucky was safe in heaven.  It gave Tim and I a wonderful chance to reinforce how lucky we are to know about the Plan of Salvation and to share our testimonies about what happens after we die.  

Later that evening Xavier came down and said "Mom I know exactly what pet I want to get now.  A tortoise.  The Galapagos Tortoises can live more than 175 years!!"  Now at first I had to smile and then I realized what an amazing idea this was for a 6 year old.  He was thinking of a pet he could get that would outlive him.  This way he wouldn't have to experience the pain of losing something he loved.  We didn't end up getting a tortoise, but we did get another Beta fish.  He is red and we named him BLAZE.  Xavier has peace that Lucky is in a good place and is content with his new pet.  These tender moments are so rich with lessons to be taught and learned.  I am grateful we could go through this with Xavier together.


Another experience I had recently or more of a conversation we had was one day after school.  Xavier hopped off the bus as usual and he sat in his seat in the back of the van.  I usually ask him the typical questions like how was your day and so forth.  But this time I hadn't yet.  When Xavier said, "Mom, I like Karsen.  But I can't tell her I like her because I'm shy about talking to cute girls."  I was a little surprised because he's not one to like ooey gooey lovey dovey stuff (those are his words).  So I played it cool and asked him casually "Oh really.  What do you like about Karsen?"  He said, "She's smart and I really like her new glasses.  They are blue and green AND she got them on Valentine's day.  We are in a reading group together and we read a book about the 3 little pigs today. "  His face was so happy as he retold this experience.  Of course as a mom I was eating it up!  My boy has a crush.  Not only that but his first words weren't "she's soooo cute!"  As much as being physically attracted to someone is important I liked that he was impressed with her knowledge.  So anyway,  my boy is growing up and I am starting to realize he's not a baby anymore.  This is real stuff and I hope I'm prepared to give him a little freedom a little at a time so he is ready to soar into this big wide world some day.



2 comments:

Mom/Dad R. said...

I loved Xavier's new pet idea..he is a deep thinker.

Kendra said...

Awesome:) what a cutie! love that he is in Basketball now too!! That's fantastic about his cute little crush too….these boys are growing up way too fast though! Aack!!! Sorry to hear about Lucky, he did pretty well though considering:) glad you have a new buddy for us to meet next time!