Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reid's nursery

Reid's nursery is complete (well except for a couple little things I still want to add)  For now, I am calling it complete.  I painted the room white.  As I have mentioned before this house has flat paint in every room and the bigger boys used to be in the room that is now Reid's.  Let's just say, flat paint and two little boys do not mix.  The walls were looking pretty bad, but it wasn't anything a fresh coat of paint couldn't fix.  So this summer I did it!  There is a running joke in our family that Tim does all the painting.  I have done my fair share in this house, but I wanted to prove to him I could do this one on my own.  I get bonus points because I was 7 or 8 months pregnant and it was in the middle of a hot summer.  Beat that, Tim!

I had a vinyl quote printed to put above the crib, "Let him sleep for when he wakes he will move Mountains."
My very generous friend Conni gave us her son's old crib.  It is a lifestyle crib, so it will convert to a toddler bed and a twin bed. 

 Originally I was going to accent with browns, teals, and oranges, but I couldn't find the accent pieces I wanted in those colors.  At the last minute I found a cute sock monkey picture and decided to go with that theme instead.  Plus what better color to accent with than red.  (If you didn't guess my favorite color is red) Besides, I felt it fit our situation perfectly (three boys is like having monkeys in the house all the time; I secretly believe that a mom of sons wrote 5 little monkeys jumping on a bed)
 I found some cute sock monkey prints on Etsy to frame.  One of them had Reid's monogram, which I hung on the other wall by his crib.
 This gives you a better view of the room when you walk in.  The drapes, changing table cover, and sheets are tan and white stripes/polka dots.  The bedding on the twin bed is white and brown stripes with gingham sheets.
 I got a vintage looking clock and a sock monkey to put on top of the bookcase.
 I got vintage looking bins with cute knobs to use for diapers, wipes, and all those little baby things such as lotion, ointment, etc.
 The picture frame has Reid's sonogram in it.  The top shelf as you can see is Reid's name blocks. The red bucket holds lots of socks.  You can never have too many socks.  I'm trying to find a cool looking metal tree to also add to the top of the dresser so I can hang Reid's pictures of his first 12 months.  I thought a tree fit the monkey theme nicely.
Above the twin bed are the other two sock monkey prints and Reid's newborn picture.  I painted all the frames and distressed them.  It was the first time I had done that and it was pretty fun to do.  I may add a couple more pictures to fill the wall, but that will come in time.

So, that is a tour of Reid's room.  It is currently my favorite room because I put so much time into it and because it's usually the cleanest room in the house!  When I'm feeling like toys are taking over my house I just go into Reid's room and smile.  It's so nice to have a room where everything is in its place.

My little monkey has a monkey haven.

0 comments: