I was in the hospital for two days and it was finally time to go home. I always laugh when people say enjoy your time in the hospital and take advantage of being able to get rest. For me, I never get any rest or sleep in the hospital. Between nursing the baby and every doctor, nurse, and visitor coming in and out all hours of the day and night I don't get a free moment to actually close my eyes for more than maybe 30 minutes. I think I might have gotten a total of 2-3 hours of sleep in the 2 days I was in the hospital. I was ready to go home!
Here is my tiger! This will probably be the only time he will fit into the newborn outfit. It was a snug fit.
The boys couldn't wait to get their newest brother home.
I'm amazed at how different each of my children look.
My heart is full!
Reid lost about 9% of his body weight in the hospital and his bilirubin levels were increasing each time they checked them. The nurse told me if he lost any more weight they would not be able to discharge him. At first I was a little annoyed because all babies lose weight at first and second, my milk hadn't come in yet. I was confident everything would sort itself out when my milk came in. On the other hand I began to worry and freak out a little that things would get worse before they got better and we wouldn't be able to go home. We waited and waited for the doctor's to make a decision. I spoke to the lactation consultant in the meantime to get her opinion. She check Reid's latch, suck, and found that he was nursing beautifully. Thanks to her comforting opinion she was in agreement with my thinking. He would be just fine once my milk came in. The doctor's finally gave me and Reid the okay to go home with a requirement to supplement nursing with formula and visit the pediatrician the next day for a weight check and bilirubin check.
I was glad to be able to go home and be with my entire family, but was a little apprehensive as to what the next 24 hours would bring.
As we drove up to the house this lovely banner was waiting for us. It was such a nice and thoughtful thing that someone did for us. We thought it was someone from church until we saw the back with Henry and Saji's signatures on it. We have some great friends! Well after nursing Reid every two hours round the clock we went back to the doctor's office to check his weight and bili levels. GOOD NEWS: he was gaining weight again and his jaundice was getting better. Phew! Now mommy can sleep a little and we can continue to adjust to our family of five.
Guess who loves being a big brother? Boy, I sure love my boys!


0 comments:
Post a Comment