Friday, December 20, 2013

1 month old

Reid is a super star!  He weighed in at 14 lbs. at his one month well visit!  That's a whopping 4 lbs gained.  If this keeps up we are in trouble.  This is also quite an accomplishment because this kid is the worst spitter upper.  All my boys have been big spitters.  I would say the first 6-9 months I smelled like baby spit up with all of them.  Reid however is a champ in this department as well.  On top of spitting up a lot he's been extremely fussy which made me think he had acid reflux or cholic.  I spoke to his doctor about it and my doctor said that he would check his eyes.  I thought this was a strange act of treatment for something unrelated.  But I let him do his thing.  Guess what the doctor found?  Reid had 3 large abrasions on his left eye.  He told me that this can contribute to a newborns fussiness.  So we had to use special eye drops for a day and come back in for a re-check.  Voila!  Within 1 day the abrasions were healed.  Magic!  And a somewhat happier baby.  We weren't out of the ball park, but at least my baby could see and wasn't in pain from his eyes.

Our second course of action was to shorten his feedings to see if this helps. I have also taken dairy out of my diet to see if there is an improvement.  Now, I am lactose intolerant so I haven't drank cows milk in more than 6 years, but I have added yogurt, cheese, ice cream into my diet.  So now I am going back to no dairy and even though I crave cheese and crackers or a nice bowl of ice cream, it is worth it because my stomach is happier again and Reid has made a huge improvement.  Reid and I are still covered in spit up most days, but it's been more manageable and he is mostly content when he is awake instead of screaming in pain.  
Reid is fitting right in don't you think?  We are continuing to train them young!  Go green!  Reid has no other choice but to be a Spartan like the rest of the family.
This is Reid's first appearance at church.  (and it was the only time he fit into this outfit)
The cutest Spartan fan on the planet.
Proud daddy with his newest team member!
Saturdays in the fall bring us many gatherings with Henry, Saji, and Hank to watch football.
This is Reid's first appearance at church.  (and it was the only time he fit into this outfit)
This was one of Reid's first smiles....it's more like a smirk.  What do you think he's thinking?
His shirt says it all.

Xavier has loved being a big brother for the second time around.  Now that he is even older than his first go as big brother he's stepped up to the plate and been a champ at helping me when I need it.  He loves snuggling and holding Reid and he loves to play with him.

0 comments: