Saturday, August 31, 2013

Goodbye Subaru!

In preparation for baby boy #3 we have been searching for a bigger car.  Our Subaru didn't have quite enough room for 3 car seats.  We looked at many options: SUV's, cross overs, and mini vans.   Finally, after researching and talking about the pros, cons, and dollars of a new car purchase we settled on the Honda Odyssey. We were able to get a great price for our Subaru and a great price for the Odyssey.  Tim used his well trained negotiating skills to get the best bang for our buck on this deal.  

After ten years of marriage I am finally eating my words.  I always told myself I would never drive a minivan.   I could never see myself driving one, plus I always felt that if I ever did I'd feel old and totally uncool.  But I must say, I love love love my van.  It has some fun features and the ease of getting my munchkins in and out of the car is fantabulous.  I can't say I feel any older driving the van, just practical.  I am embracing my soccer mom status.  Not to mention the youtube video of the Swagger wagon helped shed a new viewpoint on how cool us mini van owners really are.  

I even saw an article about an Odyssey racing Pikes Peak.  Now what's not cool about that?



On a side note, the day Tim purchased our new vehicle  I was busy running Xavier and his buddy Justin to and from summer camp. (Not to mention a unexpected visit to the Emergency Room)

This is how it all transpired.  When I went to pick the boys up after summer camp, Justin had lost a toy he brought to camp.  We searched everywhere for it, but couldn't find the toy.  We drove home, I dropped him off at his house and then pulled up to our house.  Then I looked down and discovered Justin's toy on the floor of my car.  Since we were all still in the car I decided to run back to Justin's house and bring him his toy.  I went up to the door and Justin answered along with his little dog.  The next thing I know the dog is coming at me and went right for my leg.  SNAP! My leg was dripping blood as I was dodging the dog from trying to bite again.  Justin's mom was finally able to get a hold of the dog and put him in his cage.
Complete shock came over me.  Gift offered to help me, but I said my goodbyes so I could go home and take care of the wound.  Then I called my doctor.  They urged me to go to the ER right away.  But I couldn't go to any ER I had to go to a specific one- the one that was furthest from my house in Allentown.  (This was because my OB office has doctor's on call at the Allentown ER)

I didn't realize being bit by a dog when you're pregnant was such a big deal.  Apparently I am more prone to infection.  So after cleaning it up and getting the boys into the car again I had to drive 45 minutes to get to the ER. My leg was throbbing and I was attempting to keep my boys occupied as we were waiting and waiting for them to call my name.
After lots of paperwork and questions a nurse examined the wound and cleaned me up.  She said that once they got the antibiotic on the wound I should be good to go and it should heal okay.  I was also given an oral antibiotic, but would only have to use it if it got worse within the first 24 hours.  Thankfully I only had to use the topical antibiotic and did not have to take the oral antibiotic.

Over the next couple weeks I received a couple calls asking if I was feeling well and if the dog was showing any signs of illness.  The dog even had to be quarantined for 10 days.  (This is law if a dog bites someone.)  This is definitely not something I ever thought would happen, but I'm grateful my kids weren't the ones that got bit and I'm grateful it was a dog I knew and had all his shots up to date, so infection was unlikely.  The older I get I keep learning that life gets more and more unpredictable!  

On this day it was definitely a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly- hence the picture of the dog bite. UGLY!

2 comments:

The Lindsays said...

Finally got caught up on your blog...it's been a busy and fun summer Your trip to England looks amazing! Your boys' parties are incredible. Your cute boys are getting so big and handsome. And as for the mini-van...I swore I'd never drive one either, but man I love mine-they're so perfect for families. Getting ready for this baby is so fun! I'll try calling you soon. Love you!

Mom/Dad R. said...

When we sold our black Suburban that Tim learned to drive in, and bought a van, his comment was "What! I have to drive a grocery-getter!" Just not as cool as the big, black "burban-of-love" as they called it. So glad your leg is OK :) day-to-day we never know what life will bring. Sad to not be there for baby arrival :(
Love you, Mom