Sunday, May 19, 2013

Prayers answered

This week was particularly crazy because Tim was in Vegas all week.  The boys were great for me for the most part, but man was I physically and emotionally exhausted by the end of the week.  I think every time Tim goes on a trip I mentally prepare myself days before he leaves and during the time he is gone I feel like I have to put on this Super suit to give me extra powers while he is gone.  By powers, I mean I have to be stronger physically, happier to compensate for the missing person in our home, more fun so that we have a good positive environment, and yet still enforce house/family rules without my kids completely defying me.  Well, no matter how hard I try to make the weeks go smooth and perfect while Tim is away they never quite turn out that way.  And I end up exhausted and zapped by the end of his travels.  But there were so many moments in my week that carry me through.  The kids and I made a trip to Target one morning, but had to get back before Xavier had school.  The road we normally take was blocked off so we had to take a detour that took a little longer.  On the way home for some reason I couldn't quite find my way.  So I turned on my GPS hoping it would re-route me to a different path and eventually get us home.  It kept routing me to the road that was blocked off.  Xavier was getting worried that we wouldn't make it home and he'd be late for school.

Then I heard him say, "Mom turn the radio off. "  He proceeded to say a prayer asking Heavenly Father to help us find our way home.  Within minutes I found the road I needed to get us home.  I couldn't help but reflect on how I kept relying on worldly gadgets to get me home, even when they weren't working.  And yes, even technology isn't always right.  But my 6 year old put his trust and faith in God.  He didn't even hesitate.  Yet I failed to consider this option.
Our Heavenly Father will always lead us on the right road.  The world does not.  What better GPS could we have than our Heavenly Father's guidance given through the Holy Ghost.

Also, after school that same day Xavier was building something with his Legos as he often does.  He couldn't find a specific piece he needed to complete his model.   Instinctively he stopped looking for the piece, knelt on the floor, and asked Heavenly Father to help him find his piece.

Oh how rewarding it is to a parent to see the faith of their children grow.  I am so grateful to have these little moments where I see my son's testimony and faith and relationship with his Heavenly Father grow.  It's moments like these that help me during the times when Tim is gone and help me to know that my Heavenly Father is sustaining us while Tim is away.

3 comments:

Linz said...

Thank you for sharing that, Ash. You're teaching your boys so well.

Mom/Dad R. said...

My dear Ashley, What a great job you and Tim are doing teaching your children! I am so proud of you and all your efforts. Tim was born 1 week shy of our 1 year baptism anniversary. Your successes mean so much to me, knowing all the changes we tried to make to raise our family in a "better Way". Love you. Mom

Stephanie said...

That's a great story Ash, and a great reminder, as I am all too often guilty of relying on the world for help too!