Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Patrick's Day 2011

I have come to really love St. Patrick's Day. I know that seems weird, because it's not usually a favorite holiday for most people. Not to mention it's basically a holiday where people drink and being Mormon that's not something I do. But this is why I love it:

For the past several years the weather has been gorgeous! This year did not disappoint.
I can wear green. Not only for the holiday, but for my school, and March Madness is also during this time.
It's an excuse to do something fun for my kids.
I'm reminded of how "lucky" I am to have 2 handsome little boys and one wonderful husband.


St. Patrick's Day this year was a hit. The night before I scattered gold coins all over our house and made a trail by Xavier's bed. I also died our milk green and the toilet water green.

Xavier woke me up saying "Mom, look what I found! Treasure!" As he ran around the house he found more and more treasure. Sitting by our fireplace was the biggest treasure of all. I got this idea from secrets of a supermommy. I filled Gavin and Xavier's shoes with green stuff- green juice, green headbands, green socks, green glow sticks, green chapstick, green tic tacs, and fizzy tub colors.



I set these out on the table for Xavier and Tim to have in the morning from me.


Then I made green smoothies- using spinach, mango, and vanilla yogurt. I was a little worried it wouldn't taste very good, but it was actually very tasty indeed. Xavier enjoyed it too. (Those leprechauns aren't the only ones who know how to be tricky)
After breakfast I took Xavier to pre-school. He was in charge of the snack for school. The teacher wanted me to bring something green. After having lots of birthdays and cupcakes for snack the last couple weeks I wanted to make sure our snack was healthy. I made mini fruit kabobs. I took toothpicks and placed a green grape, kiwi, honeydew and a cube of mozzarella cheese at the end. I included a water bottle for each child and some pretzel sticks too. The kids loved it!

Now that my mom is retired from teaching she's been sending me a packet of projects each month for me and Xavier to do. This was our leprechaun art. Xavier added the tissue paper as his gold and colored his leprechaun yellow. We had fun creating our very own leprechaun. No matter how hard we looked we weren't able to catch the silly ones that crept into our house overnight and turned the toilet water green, our milk green, and left a trail of coins all over the house.

The weather was awesome so Xavier and I headed to the park for some much needed jumping, climbing, swinging, and playing. Luckily daddy worked from home, so I left Gavin at home with him (napping).

I'm the luckiest lady alive!


To end our day we enjoyed some NCAA basketball, an Irish feast of corned beef and cabbage, a family walk, and a green bath. Happy St. Patty's Day 2011.

1 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

You are so darn creative!! I love everything you do for St. Patricks Day and yet...never actually do anything myself! :)