Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Seuss Extravaganza

March 2nd was Dr. Seuss's Birthday. I absolutely love reading Dr. Seuss as do millions of people of all ages. Xavier and I have read Dr. Seuss from the time he was very little. I decided we'd have a special birthday celebration and extend the fun throughout the week. Since my camera wasn't working I don't have a lot of pictures. So here is what we did:

MIXED UP MONDAY: To kick off our week we wore our clothes backwards. We also made sure our clothes didn't match, including our socks.




TOP HAT TUESDAY: We read Cat in the Hat and made Cat-in-the-hat Hats.

We also read Horton Hears a Who (which is one of X's favorites) and made our own whoville. I took a green popsicles stick, glued a pink pom pom on the stick, and then used a tiny white pom pom as the speck.
imgres.jpeg imgres.jpeg

WACKY WEDNESDAY: We read Wacky Wednesday, Fox in Sox, and the Foot Book.
We wore silly socks and tried to repeat tongue twisters. Xavier got a kick out of Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear and Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickle Peppers. We were rolling with laughter.
We also made our own foot books. I traced our feet on cardstock and cut out a bunch of copies. Then we wrote things about our feet- what they look like, what they smell like, what they like to do, what they don't like. etc.
We also had relay races in different types and sizes of shoes.

imgres.jpeg imgres.jpegimgres.jpeg imgres.jpeg
Since Wednesday was Dr. Seuss's actual birthday we celebrated with a dinner of green eggs and ham followed by reading the story. We also made a simple Cat in the Hat treat by frosting a vanilla wafer white and stacking some red lifesavers to make a top hat.
.imgres.jpeg
THEODORE THURSDAY: We learned a little bit about Theodore Geisle

imgres.jpeg
We read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish and did some math and counting activities with goldfish crackers. We also made a button collage fish craft.

imgres.jpg
This was one that we hadn't read before and Xavier really liked it a lot. It has such a great message about saying sorry when we do something wrong. We had to make some of our own Oobleck of course. Ooey and gooey!


imgres.jpgimgres.jpeg imgres.jpeg


We did lots of reading and after this week we have continued to read Dr. Seuss a lot. We've read a lot of our favorites, but we also discovered many we hadn't read before. I love to read and it is something I want my kids to love doing as well. Thank you Dr. Seuss for making reading so fun. The world of imagination is alive in each one of your books! Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!


There are soooo many fun things you can do with Dr. Seuss. I think the Seuss Extravaganza will be a yearly tradition.

1 comments:

The Lindsays said...

What GREAT ideas! I want to start this tradition?! I've always loved that Madi and Dr. Seuss share a birthday and would love to have a Dr. Seuss themed birthday celebration for her, but she always has other ideas in mind (you know, girly stuff!!!). Maybe if I tell her about all the fun stuff you guys did I could convince her otherwise?!