Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Baby Brother



We are going to have another boy! I'm so excited. I love having the ultrasound because now it seems more real. We don't have to call it a baby gorilla or a baby anymore. We can now call him baby brother. He has an identity.

The week leading up to the ultrasound was quite interesting. I was getting super anxious to know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. Partly because I'm a planner and I could start getting ready for the baby and partly because I don't like surprises when it's this important. Many people thought it was a girl. Since I didn't have a feeling either way I didn't want people's opinions to get my hopes up for one or the other. As it got closer and closer I kept feeling more sure that it was a boy. Two days before our ultrasound I asked Xavier for probably the millionth time what he thought we were having and he said without any hesitation, "A brother". He confirmed my feelings.

The night before the ultrasound I did not sleep. I don't remember being this nervous or anxious with Xavier. I just tossed and turned and couldn't stop worrying about what would happen in the ultrasound. I kept praying that everything would be okay. That our baby would be developing like he should and that they wouldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Xavier had choroid plexus cysts on his brain. These are somewhat common, but CPCs have become associated with a severe genetic disease called Trisomy 18, also known as Edwards syndrome. There are many physical abnormalities that are associated with Edwards Syndrome, some babies can be stillborn, and others have many medical problems early on in life. Since Xavier didn't have any other indications in his ultrasound the doctor assured me that in Xavier's case the cysts would most likely disappear as he developed in the womb. But it was still a worry for me until he was born. (Not the best thing to hear when you are like myself and always prepare for the worst case scenario)

Thankfully this time around they didn't find anything like that. Our doctor said that the ultrasound was perfect! Our baby boy is in the 50th percentile for weight and everything seems to be developing as it should.

Xavier was great during the ultrasound. He enjoyed looking at the screen for the first few minutes and then became occupied with his surroundings. He said the cutest thing to Tim during the ultrasound. He said "Daddy when I'm big like you I'm going to be just like Gabe." Gabe is his cousin that's about 10 years old. He is a great kid and if he turned out like Gabe that would be fine by me.

After the ultrasound I asked Xavier what he thought about having a baby brother. He said, "Nothing."
I explained to him in terms he could better understand. I said, "Xavier, Zach and Eli are brothers. Zach is the big brother and Eli is his little brother. Now you're going to have a little brother."
I think the lightbulb in his head just went off. His face just lit up as he instantly exclaimed "We're going to be like Zach and Eli."
Zach and Eli are Xavier's cousins who he absolutely loves to death. So I think Xavier's pretty excited. He's already talking about taking his baby brother to a Pistons game.

We can't wait to meet this little guy and welcome him to our growing family.

2 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

I'm so excited for you guys!! Xavier will love having a brother to play with!!

The Lindsays said...

Just seeing the ultrasound...I'm in love! What a beautiful little baby!!! I'm so glad everything checked out okay and that you are doing well. It can be so nerve wracking leading up to the ultrasound, but so wonderful when you are reassured that everything will be okay. BTW, I can't believe I never knew the situation with Xavier's ultrasound. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thank goodness all ended up well, both times now. LOVE YOU!!!!