Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cider Mill trip gone bad

A couple weeks ago we went to Uncle John's Cider Mill. Xavier and I went with our friend Stephanie and her daughter Skyler. (Tim was in Atlanta :( ) It was a perfect day- sunny, mild weather, and busy with lots of people. Xavier loved the "mower", which was really a tractor pulling people around the farm.



Xavier and dad shivering in their pants! Brrr!


This weekend we decided to go to Uncle John's Cider Mill once again as a family. I was in Utah last year during Xavier's first Halloween and I didn't want Tim to miss out on our fun fall activities this year too. It was super cold, gray, and raining. We spent about 5 minutes picking a pumpkin as quickly as we could. We found a good one!



Xavier's favorite part was riding the train. Go figure. He was able to sit in the very front where the bell was. He enthusiastically rang the bell the entire time.



The little explorers. Searching for a perfect punkin.



Xavier and Skyler love to play together. They had fun being pulled in the wagon for about 2 seconds. Then they wanted to get out and run around.

After our pumpkin picking we went to get some cider and donuts. Tim and I got hot cider and we got Xavier cold apple juice in an apple shaped bottle. I tasted my cider and about burned my entire mouth. It was burning hot. Then Tim, Dave, Katie and I started joking around about the woman who sued McDonald's for pooring hot coffee on her lap. Within 1 minute of this conversation I heard Xavier screaming a death curdling scream as loud as his lungs could bear. We rushed to pull his clothing off of him. What do you know? He poored the hot cider onto himself. It happened so quick and I felt so horrible. I didn't realize the drink was still within his reach when I set it back on the table. What a stupid mom I am!!! Luckily a man who was sitting next to us was a paramedic. He offered to take a look at him. He recommended we take him to Sparrow Hospital immediately to have his chest examined. We had about a 30 minute drive to the hospital. I sang to Xavier the entire drive to keep him calm. The doctor and nurses were great! They took care of our little guy and he was his normal self in no time. He suffered second degree burns on his chest. But the doctor said that he shouldn't have any scarring. Xavier was one tough cookie. By the time we got home he was running around as if nothing happened. Needless to say I will never get hot cider again or any hot drink for that matter. It's not worth the risk.

5 comments:

The Lindsays said...

Ashley, I'm SOOOO sorry. Mom and Dad told me what happened tonight. First, let me say, you are NOT a bad mom!!!! Accidents happen. I'm glad to hear Xavier's okay. Looks like it was fun otherwise. Love you guys...

Aubreydoll said...

Oh my gosh! The poor little guy! That stuff can happen so quickly whether you're looking or not so it wasn't anyone's fault. I'm glad he's doing okay!

Stephanie said...

I second that-you're so far from being a "bad mom" it's not even funny! With as quick and busy as little X is, I'm just surprised this is his first ER visit! I'm sorry Tim didn't get to experience a better cider mill trip!

The Richardson Clan said...

Thanks guys for making me feel like I'm still a good mom. :)

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I feel your pain! I remember all too well when Justice burned his hands. That scream will never leave my mind. Thank goodness he is okay. I know it is hard, but don't blame yourself. I really struggled with it after J burned his hands, but he is fine, and doesn't even remember it. You are a great mom and so lucky to have such a cute kid!