Sunday, January 22, 2017

Serving in the church

I recently was released as the second counselor in the Relief Society presidency.  I was sad to go because I worked with an amazing group of women whom I learned so much from and whom I became very close to.  But as in all things with the church, we go where we are needed the most.  I was called to be the first counselor in the Young Women's presidency.  I was super excited about this new calling.  I hadn't been in YW since Xavier was a baby and I was looking forward to serving the youth.  Being a mom of boys it was a nice change of pace to hang out with some girls each Tuesday night and on Sundays.  Our group of girls are so amazing and such fun company to be around.  They've quickly earned a special place in my heart.  I am honored to be able to be one of their leaders.  One of our first activities after I was sustained was an activity to learn how to make some Mexican food......Empanadas!!  YUMMY!  One of our girls, Bianca, is of Mexican decent and her mom is a fabulous cook.  So we headed to their home for a Tuesday night activity.

Here I am cutting up some lettuce.
Sidney is learning the art of the making empanadas.  We learned how to make the dough from scratch, the filling, and how to put them all together and cook them.  Some of the girls were a little hesitant to try it, but they all did a great job making some.
Brother Vielstich and the missionaries also learned right along with us.
Leslee's turn!
And we learned that these missionaries can eat.  It's a good thing we made enough to feed an army.....
The finished product.   All of us ready to chow down.  Everything was delicious from the empanadas, to the salsa, to the watermelon with chili powder.  Bianca and her family out did themselves tonight and all of our stomachs thank them for it.

0 comments: