Saturday, July 19, 2014

Family Nature Hike

We have this amazing state park close to our house that our family likes to hike in the warmer months.  Jacobsburg has many walking, biking, and horse trails with miles of beautiful views.  This time I gave the boys each a bag with a list of items to find on our nature scavenger hunt.  They loved being able to put all their "treasures" they discovered in their bags.
Totem poles and Totem boys.
Reid was so cute on our hike.  He kept rolling his tongue, which is a favorite sound he makes all day long and he kept putting his head on Tim's back.  He's such a cuddle bug.
 The boys enjoy skipping rocks along the river.  Now that I have two boys that love rocks I've begun to appreciate them more.  I used to see them as hard and ugly.  Now I see them through my boys eyes.  They are treasure, glorious, each one is different and special.  Every time Gavin would show me a rock I decided to start asking him why he picked each one and what he liked about them.  Then it became a fun time for us to connect with each other and to appreciate something found in nature.  When I see rocks my thoughts also turn to my Savior, who is my rock and my foundation and if we build our lives on such a foundation we will be able to weather any storm that may come.  Just like the rocks along the river.   The water washes over them, but they stay firm and still.  I can do this too as long as I focus on being like my Savior each day.  So I am truly grateful for my boys teaching me a little something about a simple rock and the wonderful gift they can be.  Xavier and Gavin like to pick flowers and give them to me, but more common they find a special rock just for me.  A rock is just as beautiful to me as a flower these days because I know my boys are expressing love by doing this.
 This boy is happy any time he is outside.  It's his happy place.
 Enjoying some lunch after our hike.

These boys sure love their daddy!  I'm done writing this post, now go take a hike!

0 comments: