Saturday, October 5, 2013

D-day!

Well, our little boy has decided to come late.  I guess he's already following his big brothers example.  This time I managed to cut the post-due date delivery to only 5 days.  About a month ago my doctor's did a growth scan and estimated his weight at 7 lbs. 13 oz.  He was on track to be bigger than Gavin or Xavier.  Knowing I still had at least a month to go many concerns were popping in my head, namely, will I still be late with this one, how big will he end up being?, what does that mean for my labor?  will it be harder and could I potentially end up with a c-section?  Also, if he is much bigger how will my post-hernia belly handle that stress?   At each visit I remember bringing up these concerns to hopefully convince my doctor's not to let me go to far post due date, but to no avail.  They kept giving me the same story of hoping my body goes into labor and if not I would be waiting until at least 41 weeks before they'd get me on the induction schedule.  I was somewhat accepting this fate until I went to my check up at 40 weeks and 4 days.  They did another growth scan and NST.  The ultrasound estimated Reid weighing in at 9 lbs. 14 oz.  In shock I basically said to my doctor, I am not waiting any longer to have this baby.  My body will not go on it's own so I hope you can induce me tomorrow.  



 In the hospital bright and early (5:30 a.m. to be exact) on Thursday September 26th, 2013.
Let's get this party started!  After waiting this long I couldn't wait to meet our baby boy.
 I know you probably think I am crazy to be smiling right before going into labor, but trust me I was more than ready to get things moving along.  They started the Pitocin between 7 and 8 a.m. and my contractions started progressing, but not enough to get my dilation progressing.  So the doctor decided to break my water.  As soon as that happened my contractions were definitely picking up so I asked for the Epidural.  I tried to relax for a little bit and had progressed to a 7 by about 1 pm.  Within about 15 minutes of knowing I was dilated to a 7 I started to feel lots of pressure as if it was time to push so I called my nurse.  Another nurse came in and said that I probably didn't have to push yet, to keep breathing through the contractions.  Seriously?  I had never had contractions this bad with either of my other two, but I said okay I'll keep breathing (but in the back of my head I was hoping my regular nurse would come in soon!)  Sure enough she came about 10 minutes later and I explained to her that I was pretty sure it was time to push.  Dr. Defulvio came in and what do you know I was right.  Everyone prepped quickly for the big arrival of Richardson boy #3 and after 5 pushes he came out a whopping 10 lbs. 1 oz.  at 1:43 pm.  It was my quickest delivery.  When they announced his weight I was floored along with everyone else in the room.  Tim quickly nicknamed him Colossus.  I don't even know how a 10 lb. baby fit inside of me.  Did I mention I didn't need an episiotomy and didn't have any tearing either? All I can say is that it was a good thing this beast was my third delivery and not my first.  But he was beautiful!  Dark brown head of hair, 22 1/2 inches long, and healthy as can be.  I was one happy mama.
 Reid was the talk of labor and delivery that day. 
 Our handsome guy!

Many people have said he doesn't look 10 lbs. but I have proof!  He was 10 lbs. 1 oz.  
My chunky monkey!



 These two ladies were fabulous!  Katie and Cathy.  
 My surprise at delivering a 10 lb. baby.  I guess being the third he had to come out with a bang and make a statement.  Or he just had to come out big to survive two big brothers.

 We are looking a little sleepy here, but certainly happy.

 When Gavin walked into the room to meet his little brother he had the biggest smile on his face.  He literally jumped on my bed and tried taking Reid out of my arms to hold him all by himself.  He even brought him a teddy bear to welcome him to the family.
 During my pregnancy Xavier has been set on us naming Reid, Wyatt Jack instead and he has not been on board with any other name.  But as soon as he walked into the room he acknowledge Reid by name and immediately hugged him and kissed him.  I asked if he was okay with us naming him Reid and Xavier said that he thought it was a good name after all.  Xavier is one proud big brother.  He even started singing lullabies to Reid.  My heart was overflowing with joy on this special day.  I didn't even have room for tears.  I was completely floating on cloud 9.
 The boys started giggling as soon as they saw Reid's tiny little feet.
 Karina and her son Sebastian came to meet our  little man.
 Henry, Saji, and Hank also came to visit.  

When I had Gavin in PA we has just moved here and didn't know a single person, so our hospital experience was pretty quiet- just Tim, Tim's parents, and my parents.
 Having lived in Pennsylvania more than three years now I am realizing how many wonderful people have become part of our "family".  We are completely surrounded by so many who love and support us and it is so nice to have that when our families are so far away.
Savannah babysat our kids for the first 2 days I was in the hospital.  She spent the night and got the kids off to school.  Her dad Matt also helped as well.  She is the world's best babysitter!
 Christy (the best neighbor and friend ever!) and her daughter Izabella came to meet Reid.

Tim and our three sons!  One crazy bunch of boys but I love them to pieces!!!

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

This was so fun to read! There were so many similarities with our deliveries. Nolan was my biggest baby, yet easiest delivery too. I still can't believe you had a ten pound baby! I kept scrolling back to the pictures to try and figure out how he fit in you! You looked so amazing during your pregnancy! You must be back in your normal clothes, because you were all baby, girl! I'm sad that we don't live closer to each other, so our chunky boys could be playmates. Oh, and be prepared to fly through the baby clothes. Nolan is not even three months old yet, and he is just shy of 17 lb and wearing nine months clothes!