Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Xavier's First Wrestling Match

When we gave Xavier the choice to wrestle this winter or play basketball he immediately chose wrestling.  He has loved it so far.  He really seems to pick up on things pretty well.  The coaches really expect a lot from the kids even at age 5.  He has two practices a week that are 1 1/2 hours long.  They usually have competitions every Sunday.  We did have to talk to Xavier at the beginning of the season to explain that he would not be able to participate in the Sunday events.  He seemed okay with it and said, "Yeah, cause we don't do sporting events on Sundays."  I'm glad he knows how important it is to go to church each week, even if it means missing out on all the wrestling competitions.

Luckily the first meet had to be re-scheduled for a Saturday because of a scheduling conflict. (A huge blessing for us)

 Since I know nothing about wrestling and it wasn't a sport Tim ever played we have definitely been learning a lot along with Xavier.  
I think he looks awesome in his singlet, head gear, and wrestling shoes. 
Xavier got to wrestle two boys in the meet.  They do 3 rounds each.  Xavier's first one, you could tell he was a little nervous and not sure what to do at times.  The second time around Xavier was not messing around.  He gave it all he had.  I think it helped him to watch the other kids so that he realized he didn't have to hold back.  
His face said it all.  It looks like Tim's when Tim plays basketball.  Completely serious and in the zone.
Xavier won both rounds with this boy.  Here he went right for the legs.

This move caused the other boy to cry......
The boy was crying and didn't want to finish the third round.  Xavier definitely felt really bad about it too.  After his meet we asked him what he thought and all he could say was, "I'm not sure I had a good time.  I hurt that boy."  We had to reassure him that the boy was fine after they wrestled and he didn't cause any serious injuries.  
Great job on your first wrestling meet!!!
Saji came to support our little man.  Love this lady.
Xavier and his buddy Bradley.  Don't mess with these wrestlers.
Hard work is complete and his gatorade stache proves it. {Look close and you'll see a red ring around his lips.}
Go Forks Falcons.

0 comments: