Monday, June 18, 2012

Life List Turning 30

Happy Birthday to me!!  


I have officially closed the door on my twenties and am now entering my thirties!  Wow!  I guess it is a time to contemplate what I have done and where life has taken me over the last decade. 


At the age of 20 I was living in a new state: Michigan.  I lived in the same house the first 18 years of my life and made a big life change.  I met the man of my dreams and got engaged.
At 21 I got married in the Salt Lake City temple and continued my college education at MSU.
At 23 I graduated with High Honors from Michigan State University with a degree in Business.  Tim and I moved to Birmingham, Michigan to begin our first careers out of college.  We were officially grown-ups.
At 24 I was managing a branch of National City Bank in Birmingham, Michigan.
At 25 I gave birth to my first little miracle, Xavier, and began an amazing journey as a mother.
At 26 Our little family moved back to East Lansing where Tim went back to school for his MBA. 
At 27 I chopped off all my hair and dyed it red!  I modeled for the hairstylists hair competition.  She won the competition and received a trip to Las Vegas.  We moved to Sunnyvale, CA for a summer so Tim could complete an internship program.  When we returned to East Lansing for the school year I became an S3 co-chair for the MBA program.  I also was pregnant with my second little miracle.
At 28 Tim finished his MBA schooling.  We packed up and moved to the East Coast while I was 8 months pregnant.  I gave birth to Gavin in Easton, Pennsylvania.  
At 29 I was called as Primary President in my ward with 100 primary children!  I had my first major surgery on an umbilical hernia.  I ran my first 5k Mud Run- the Warrior Dash!  I have met some amazing people in PA whom I hope to remain friends with no matter where life takes our little family!



It's funny because life definitely never turns out how you plan it.  I guess that is why it is a journey.  But I will say that my life, overall, has been better than I could have planned it.  I can't wait to see what the next decade has in store.

Now on to the second part of my post.....


I am a list maker...
I make lists about lists I need to make...
I like to cross things off so that
I feel accomplished...

A few months ago I came across a post on a blog I read. I remember thinking, I don't have 100 realistic things I think I can do...then it hit me, they don't have to be realistic.


How do I know what the next few weeks will bring or the next few years or decades. So I threw caution to the wind and started my own Life List.  I would jot things down whenever I found myself thinking "I wish I could do that" and all of a sudden I had 100 things down, some things I want, some things I wish, some things I hope for.

So as I enter my 30's I thought it a good time to share this with all of you...

So here it is, my carefully thought out List of things I want to accomplish before...
well...you know....
(and by the way....they aren't in any special order.  I just listed them as I thought of them)
  1. Always make time to enjoy the little things, because they are the big things in the end
  2. Try 10 foods I've never eaten before
  3. Watch my children change the world
  4. Get involved in improving childhood literacy in lower income areas- (i.e. Cops 'n Kids)
  5. Teach my children true charity
  6. Take a romantic trip to Paris, France
  7. Stop complaining
  8. Stop listening to others who complain
  9. Manage my expenses more closely
  10. Go to Disneyworld 
  11. Visit NYC and see a Broadway Play
  12. Take my boys to a Yankees game
  13. Learn to say “no” without feeling guilty
  14. Take a yoga class on the beach
  15. Take a spinning class
  16. Learn to act within your sphere of influence and stop worrying about things which are not within your control.
  17. Invent something
  18. Watch the 10 greatest American movies of all time (as ranked by the AFI).
  19. Swim with Dolphins
  20. Make a mosaic
  21. VIsit the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC
  22. Experience weightlessness
  23. Take a photography class
  24. Take piano lessons again
  25. Go on a cruise for my 10 year anniversary
  26. Create a family tradition for each holiday
  27. Volunteer yearly
  28. Plant my own garden
  29. Learn to sail
  30. Run a 10k
  31. Feed the sharks with Xavier
  32. Climb a mountain
  33. Pay off all student loans in 5 years
  34. Learn to accept compliments
  35. Finish reading the Book of Mormon as a family
  36. Send my kids to college
  37. Visit Italy
  38. Learn more about my family heritage
  39. Go on a mission with my husband
  40. Go fruit picking and make my own jam
  41. Have my own personal library in my house
  42. Get closure on all my hurts, grievances and unhappinesses of the past
  43. Fold 1,000 origami cranes and give them to someone special
  44. Donate to a scholarship fund
  45. Take a ballroom dance class with my hubby
  46. Perform humanitarian aid in another country
  47. Do the chocolate spa thing at Hershey
  48. Perform a kind deed to at least 5 strangers without expecting anything in return
  49. Take a trip with just my sisters
  50. Start my own business (not sure what yet?)
  51. Learn to tie a tie (with 2 boys, I better learn!)
  52. Fly first class on a major airline (come on, I know you all want to do this)
  53. Buy a house 
  54. Stay at a Bed and Breakfast
  55. Speak at a graduation
  56. Host a murder mystery party
  57. Run a 5 k
  58. Ride a camel
  59. Finally understand Football
  60. Learn to play chess
  61. See the Great Wall of China
  62. Take a pottery class
  63. Learn Spanish
  64. Build a tree house for my boys
  65. Visit the Grand Canyon
  66. Fly in a hot air balloon
  67. Take swimming lessons
  68. Put a message in a bottle and throw it into the ocean
  69. Rent a scooter at the beach
  70. Learn to distress furniture
  71. Live somewhere outside the U.S. for at least 1 year
  72. Decorate bikes for the 4th of July and go on a patriotic bike ride
  73. Attend a World Cup game
  74. Have a lemonade stand with my kids
  75. Vacation in Hawaii
  76. Start a family recipe book for my kids
  77. Walk (and maybe shop) on Rodeo Drive
  78. Be someone’s hero
  79. Go a day without using any electronics- computer, car, cell phone, internet, t.v., 
  80. Visit Sea World
  81. Cook all our family’s meals for a month
  82. Become debt free
  83. Learn to sew
  84. Play golf
  85. Train and complete a Tough Mudder
  86. Send my boys on a mission
  87. Grow old with my one and only
  88. Write a letter to each of my children telling them what I want them to know about my life and the lessons I've learned.
  89. Be a mentor to someone
  90. Become organized
  91. Develop a family budget and stick to it
  92. Read all the classics on my high school reading list
  93. Learn to let things go
  94. Be thankful everyday
  95. Be the mom that my kids deserve
  96. Surprise someone who least expects it
  97. Live peacefully
  98. Allow myself to dream
  99. Join the church choir
  100. Sing Karaoke

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I loved this! I think it's such a good idea. We all have things like that stashed in the back of our heads, but I think there is power in writing things down. I might have to steal this idea for my approaching 30th!

I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I am so sorry I am such a terrible friend, and did not even acknowledge it. June completely slipped away from me. I don't hold bitter feelings when people don't acknowledge my birthdays, because I know how busy life gets. But I still feel terrible when I forget the birthdays of dear friends. Love you!

The Lindsays said...

Love this post! I still learn new things about you. I love your 100 list (especially #49-its something I would love to do every year!!!) I hope your birthday was special! LOVE YOU!!!

Kathryn Richardson said...

This post is so great and now I really want to make a list of all the things I want to accomplish too! You are inspiring! hah just love it!